Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Does your face hurt?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
There are certain areas of my face that hurt to the touch, like right above my eyebrow or along my jawline. I guess it feels almost like sinus pressure under the skin. Does anyone else have that? I'd say it's on the BP side of my face, but I'm one of the rare cases who developed Bell's bilaterally.
Posted on 02/04/09, 12:23 am
27 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bell's Palsy. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/07/09  2:34pm
" Ah, as one rare case to another, I can't say that I remember ever feeling what you describe. I'm another rare case, in that while it's only on my left side (I never knew it could develope bilaterally), mine has lasted for 31 years; it's pretty much permanent. The only pain I have is a cramping of my jaw when I cry or sometimes if I laugh especially heartily.

Have you asked your doctor about it? Perhaps he can tell you what to expect.

Good luck!
Carol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/11/09  3:23am
" I was diagnosed with BP 3 and a half years ago now. Although any signs are almost completely gone my face is still tender, however it's not as painful as it used to be. I used to get severe migraine headaches from the pain and found that pain killers (prescription??) where a big help. I can't remember all of them but one that springs to mind was mercandol (not sure of spelling). Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/07/09  10:00am
" When I first realized I had BP I looked up everything I could find about it. I read alot of post in groups like this and a ton of people said that they were in pain. I thought I was lucky not to have any pain but as I started to heal I realized what they were all talking about. My jawline/cheek area was extremely sore and painful when I touched it. The cold weather didn't help either. Now that in almost healed the pain has gone away. I still feel a little soreness but it's nowhere near as painful as it once was. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/22/09  11:51am
" Yes... I have that exact pain... I'm a "new" BP patient... I'm 47 year old otherwise healthy female and woke up on March 15, 2009 to find the right side of my face paralysed from Bells Palsy. The affected side of my face feels like it's been battered & bruised... I am still not finished my prescription of Prednisone as it has been only 8 days since the onset of my paralysis...I thought perhaps that the sinus pressure pain could be a side affect of the steroids?

I don't understand what developing BP bilaterally means??? Can you explain? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/06/09  10:27pm
" developing BP bilaterally means you have it on both sides of your face. It's rare but does happen. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/24/09  10:13pm
" I have had BP for 2 years now, it's on the left side of my face, I get an actual cramp and it hurts like a you know what, I still get some tingles which makes me think it's getting better, but I don't know :( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/29/09  7:27am
" I was diagnosed with this three weeks ago. I found that once the symptoms had developed properly and I started to regain movement of some of my face the pain felt worse. My cheeks and side of face and above my brow feel sore and bruised to the touch and I get stabbing pain around but not in the ear and occasionally on the brow bone above my left eye.

Movement has begun to return to the muscle. It started with uncontrollable twitching and fluttering across my left side. Now I can smile and move parts of the face and the brow has lifted. I never thought I would be so pleased to see forehead wrinkles! sympathise with those who have had no improvement, I salute your courage in dealing with this frightening condition.

This morning I woke up with the stabbing pain, but have noticed that my brow which felt bruises no longer feels that way. I can only assume from this that it is part of the condition and recovery process. My doctor at the hospital ENT was not really helpful when I was seen a few days into the conditon. He pooh poohed the fact I had pain, put it down to 'tension headache' He said that there was no pain associated with Bell's. Everything I have read says the opposite. Conclusion: He has no idea and obviously got his medical degree from the local 7/11 store.

This is a frightening condition, but not life threatening and because of this I find that the sympathy vote from folk around you is not high. My family seem impatient as though I have done this deliberately just to annoy them. In fact I was accused this morning of just looking for symptoms, presumably in order to milk the situation. All I can say is that nobody who has not suffered from this condition can really know how terrifying it can be and the vagueness of the medical profession on diagnosis is even more terrifying. My silly young ENT doctor said:

"75% of people recover in three months, the reest will have recovered by ten months. If there is no improvement by that time then you are stuck with it for life. 10% of sufferers never ever recover."

He said this quie cheerily and my face must have fallen because he then hastily proceeded to assure me that I could get surgical intervention to make my face look more normal. I am not sure how that was meant to reassure me.

Anyway, the worst I have found of this condition apart from the obvious physical signs, eating and drinking very messy etc, was the fact that I couldn't close my left eye which meant drops, manual blinking covering the eye at night, wearing my glasses and not my contacts etc. This has improved qhite a lot, although the lower lid is still quite weak. The other thing is the facial pain. I am just gritting my teeth and taking painkillers.

My upper lip cramps sometimes, but this is not terribly painful. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/29/09  10:49am
" Thank you everyone to your responses to my original question about pain. I am now 8 months into it. The BP on the right side is pretty much gone. I still have the BP on the right side, but it has improved. I can smile to a certain extent. I can blink my eye better and wear my contacts again. Although when I wear my contacts, the effects of BP on my eye are much more noticeable. I'm happy to say that most of the pain is gone. My dr kept dismissing my questions about pain, but I'm glad to hear others say that I'm not the only one who had pain with it. (Not that I wish pain on anyone.) I don't know if I'll ever have all the movement back in my face, but I'm grateful for what has returned so far.

Stay strong!
Tammy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/30/09  7:08pm
" I keep posting this in different threads but I have to because it worked!! When my BP didn't heal after 3 months, I got electric shock therapy and it helped so much, noticeably in the first treatment. I just asked my doctor for a prescription for physical therapy. I think I had maybe 6 treatments (w/ facial exercises) and my movement returned almost completely by 8 or 9 months. Stay strong. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/09/09  9:34pm
" Recently, and I am on 4 1/2 months with Bell's on right side, I notice that jaw line is sore and that the muscles on the right cheek equally sore...also, a sort of pain, discomfort in the head at the level of the right ear...I can't ever get a straight response from any of the doctors...the only real information I receive is in relation to different sites and responses about Bell's.
My lip still so weak on right side, when I talk, spittle comes out...I fear that this might be a "forever" case...I don't know..have done predniksone, antiviral, acupuncture, vitamins...and it is still very obvious. Sheilah "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web