Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Hydrocodone vs. Oxycodone...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm anxious to hear from others that have tried each of these compounds for pain and as to the differences observed by other people.
I, for one, don't understand how oxy has been so widely used and abused as it is not all that effective for me in the form I have been prescribed ( Endocet ).
Posted on 10/22/09, 04:49 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Back Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 11/20/09  2:50pm
" johnnyT,

On this most delicate subject,I suggest you amass the following:
generic stool softener,
Miralax,
glycerine suppositories,
Fleets phosphate soda (the soda should be used in emergency, and always close to home).

Take Miralax daily, the others as needed. Your troubles will soon be "all behind you".

-Snake "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 11/20/09  3:44pm
" Back on the subject of pain meds, I am allergic to oxycodone nor can I take morphine due to morphine psychosis with the IV and IM form and severe abdominal muscle spasms with the oral form.

So I was wondering.....does anyone know what oxymorphone is chemically? I now use hydromorphone(Dilaudid) as needed but it makes me sick so I was looking into oxymorphone(Opana) as I don't know if it's the "oxy" part I'm allergic to or the "codone" part.

Anyone know?

gentle hugs...........Jenny "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 11/20/09  11:19pm
" I am on oxycodone10mg x's three a day, and I find that they do help, but I do believe that you can get to a point that they do not work. If you are going to a pain management doctor, maybe you should try to get her to put you on something better. I have a broken back and have had two surgeries and they say that I will be on medication for the rest of my life. Good luck, and hopefully it will start working for you.

Lots of Luck

Kase "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 11/24/09  1:29pm
" In the Chronic Pain forum I have 2 posts One under "Bioavailability" and the other under "Provigil". They have a lot of links and dose calculators that may be helpful.

-Snake "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 11/24/09  7:52pm
" One problem I've noticed on here is the difference in names of meds. Over here in Australia,a lot of the names differ from those of the US. I can tell you that Tramadol over here is Ultram over there and is prescription only. And over a certain number,an authority is needed. I am certain that Paracetamol over here is Acetaminphen over there. Some Paracetamol is available over the counter,but if it is combined with 30mg of Codeine,it is prescription only and an authority is needed if more than a certain number. A prescription is needed anyway with Panadeine Forte. Over here we are able to buy compounds of Paracetamol 500mg and Codeine 8mg over the counter,but no stronger. Endone over here is a small dose of Oxycodone of 5mg. I also take Oxycontin 40mg twice a day and that is 40mg of Oxycondone. As far as I know Lyrica goes by the same name. I also take 75mg twice a day. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that some of us over here can't really comment as there is a difference in med names "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #16 - 11/26/09  7:55pm
" johnny senokot-s is the best trust me i have tried everything and that works please try it you will feel better i promise "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #17 - 12/02/09  12:01pm
" the only thing that helps me is morphine instant release and i have the 12hr release. i have used all the others that have been mentioned here to no avail. i think it is basically doseages, and how your body works together with them. as for the person who can't go to the bathroom. when i take morphine i can kiss taking a bowel goodbye within hours. to help i drink lots of water, take ducalsate, and walk. sometimes it helps good other times not then i have to totally stop my meds till i "clear" out. hope this helps "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #18 - 12/02/09  4:30pm
" Since we are in the subject of bathroom issues.... I am on methadone and Dilaudid for break through pain and I started doing oatmeal every morning and also Activia yogurt, plus Acidophilus and that works for me. Miralax is a great product too, and I used it every once in a while. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #19 - 03/15/10  12:12am
" drink three or four glasses of hot apple juice in a row, that will make u go. afterwards, try adding more raw fruit like plums and apples or even grapes to ur diet, anything with alot of fiber. try fiber one, they make it in a powder form that u can mix in any drink at all and not even taste it, i put it in my coffee in the mornings. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #20 - 03/16/10  11:10pm
" I am one of those people who cannot take extra fiber due to a condition called gastroparesis. It means "paralyzed stomach." Basically, your stomach due to nerve problems does not coordinate the grinding of food correctly so you end up worse off the more fiber you feed it, creating hard balls of fiber called "bezoars" in your stomach.

I have tried lots of things over the years and what works for me may not for the next but Miralax if taken every day works, but tends to make me feel bloated. I use it anyway. In addition, I take 3 to 4 capsules of WalMart's vegetable laxative which is the same as Sennakot but does not cost as much. I take those morning and night in addition to Miralax.

And when those combined still aren't working, I take the generic equivalent of ExLax at bedtime. If I have no relief by morning, i use an enema. Waiting a week is bad for your body. My sister had to have 9 inches of her large intestine removed because it had been so badly stretched due to chronic constipation. The key is to keep things moving and so whatever you can do to make that happen is important.

If you look on the ingredients of Miralax, it is essentially polyethylene glycol. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that you can buy that in food grade liquid form and theoretically be able to add it to your food. Those of us who are cost conscious, me, try to buy generics whenever we can. i just haven't taken the time to figure out where to buy it and how much equates to the powdered form in Miralax. But this conversation now gives me a reason to do so! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web