muscle relaxer for sciatica pain
Hello,

I am currently suffering from sciatica pain and my doctor put me on ibuprofen/vicodin/lidoderm patch.

A few years ago i had my first problem with sciatica and that only lasted a few days. At that time i was put on the usual pain meds and a muscle relaxer. This time it has been well over a month and i am still in pain.

I was thinking of asking my doctor for a prescription but i'm not sure. the reason i am thinking about it is because the only difference from the last time i had sciatica pain and this time is that i had a muscle relaxer that time.

I would like to know if anyone here feels like having a muscle relaxer really helped with the lower back pain/sciatica and if not having one would be significant enough that it might be the reason i have yet to find relief.

Thanks in advance
Posted on 03/01/09, 11:50 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Back Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 03/02/09  1:02am
" i tried soma and did not find relief "
Reply #2 - 03/02/09  2:45am
" My surgeon put me on Flxeral and I love it! It makes my pain level down to a 1 or 2 (my pain is usually a 7 or 8). I feel like a human being again. Feel better! "
Reply #3 - 03/02/09  2:45am
" Flexeral, not Flxeral. Sorry. "
Reply #4 - 03/02/09  10:15pm
" Thanks for responding! I have decided to email my doctor and try to get a prescription cause they did help the first time i got the pain. I had just forgotten lol. hopefully this will work! :) "
Reply #5 - 03/03/09  1:04am
" It sounds like are are trying to simply mask the pain instead of address the pain. I previously had major problems with lower back pain. I would wake up in the middle of the night if I shifted in my sleep awkwardly and it would send shooting pain up my spine. There were times I would bend over to pick up a shoe or something off the ground and would be brought to one knee. This is my first post, so I don't want to come across as a spammer, but my doctor recommended something that changed my life. I have found no information on any of these forums in regards to it. I don't want to violate any board rules so I won't post the information, but I want to leave my email address if you are interested in the information. I can tell you that for the first time in 6 years that I'm pain free in my lower back.

Shoot me an email and I'll pass along the information: marinefreedom@gmail.com "
Reply #6 - 03/03/09  9:54am
" If the sciatica is causing you to have a lot of muscle spasm, then yes, muscle relaxants are great because along with the anti-inflammatories and pain meds, they help reduce the pain. Of course, they dont cure the sciatica, but they do aleviate the chronic cycle of nerve irritation and terrible spasm that you can get.
Years ago, when I first started having serious problems with my back, my Dr suggested Valium for the muscle spasm. I must admit I was hesitant, but it worked so effectively, and I could combine fairly simple pain meds and anti-inflammatories, without needing to get really strong/narcotic pain meds that usually made me sick. I'd take it for about 5 days then stop and had no problems with dependecy. Now I just keep it up my sleeve as an emergency remedy.
So they are not a cure-all, but I reckon there's definately a place for muscle relaxants with back pain or sciatica.
I hope you get some relief soon and all the best. "
Reply #7 - 03/03/09  10:53am
" I take Vicodin, Naproxen, & I also have Tizanadine (which is a muscle relaxer) I take the Tizanadine when I need it & it does help a lot in my opinion. "
Reply #8 - 03/04/09  9:23am
" I take Robaxin along with my pain meds, and it works awesome! It doesnt make me loopy or so tired that I cant function.
It really helps my whole body relax. "
Reply #9 - 03/09/09  8:09am
" I had a sciatic episode before I had any back pain. The flare up lasted 3 days of terrible pain, but then it was gone. This went on for 2 years, every so often, I'd get a twinge and it would last for 3 days or so, but would go away. The next 2 years I had constant sciatic symptoms. After 4 years of this pain, I decided to see a doctor because I had severe lower back pain by this time and couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes without shaking in pain.

I read somewhere else that you were trying to get an MRI, were you able to get it? It is important to get this test done because as you learned, sciatica is a symptom, not a diagnosis. I finally had an MRI and found out my problem was in my disc. Although there are several different things that can cause sciatica, the disc is the most commom. It is important to stay as comfortable as possible while finding a diagnosis and hopefully a cure, but I don't believe the muscle relaxer is the difference between you getting better and having this prolonged pain. A lot of people can have an episode and recover from it before the pain moves in for an extended stay.

I've read your other posts, and I believe you are smart! You know when these doctors aren't paying enough attention to the situation (giving you the brush-off), and you also know when they are telling you something that might not be good for you. My best advice is to go with your gut!!! MAKE these doctors treat you right, or better yet, try to find a new doctor that treats you right from the start! Just because they are doctors does NOT mean that they are well-trained and aiming to help you!!!

Good luck! I'm so happy you found DS! Coming here was my first step in getting proper care and I hope it is for you too!!! Please remember, although everyone is trying to help, their advice is just that, advice, and may not be correct or right for you!!!

Much love and understanding,
Lisa "
Reply #10 - 03/09/09  11:41pm
" For my sciatica I like Soma and Flexeril but find the Soma works better for me. My doctor referred me to www.ordersomaovernight.com which carries several muscle relaxers. He said this was a good online pharmacy as they used U.S. licensed doctors and pharmacies and only FDA approved medications. He said this way I was not getting any overseas crap! You don't need any health insurance or prior prescriptions to order from them.

I also visit a chiropractor 4x a year and use a Tens unit but they are expensive. "