Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Go to the hospital?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My medicine hasn't been working, I don't know if I've hurt my back more since my last MRI almost a year ago and I've been crying almost constantly for the last 3 days. Should I go to the hospital? Maybe for a new MRI and a little bit of temporary relief? I don't want to look like a drug seeker. Any advice?
Posted on 08/29/08, 07:31 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Back Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/29/08  7:59pm
" I know the ER here doesn't do MRI's for pain or anything. You have to get a Dr. to order one I guess..idk. But, I have gone to the ER for pain more than I care to admit, and it just depends on the Dr. you get, but more often than not, they do help me. It helps if you're crying and stuff. One time it was so bad I was screaming in the waiting room and the ER was completely full...I had to wait all night, but there was a really good nurse working triage and they gave me pain medicine while I was waiting, and it put me to sleep for a few hours. I know here, when I'm hurting super bad, I used to go to one hospital, and if they didn't help, i would go straight to another..but now I just go straight to the one that usually helps me. THe usually give me torodol, which doesn't really help, but I mean, it's worth a shot. I know you're probably used to hiding how much you hurt like me, but in the ER...all bets are off. You have to convince them how bad you are hurting since they can't really see your back ya know? I would say try it, there's not much to lose. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/29/08  10:27pm
" Thank you for your help and understanding. I'm not going tonight. I took an extra Darvocet I had (it was the last pain med I was on) and I'm going to sleep soon. Talking to my boyfriend helped distract me enough to calm down at least for now. I've also been flat on my back since 4:00 this afternoon so that has helped too. Good night! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/30/08  10:40am
" ER's don't generally offer MRI's. Your insurance dictates what they can do. If you are in an HMO, it will be treat and release for followup with primary doctor in 3 days.

The most you may get from a hospital ER is a CT Scan, which is cheaper and will give the doctor treating you a good view.

Want to get better treatment, with most insurance companies and HMO's there is a mileage line. 50-75 miles, your insurance booklet will tell you. Go to the best ER over the line, tell them you were visiting family and the pain became to unbearable. They will take a better look. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/30/08  2:19pm
" Although I have never gone to the ER because of severe pain, there have been numerous times that I have wanted to go. My issue has always been that I have hurt too much to drive or I hope for a shot, but don't have anyone to take me. I know I could call an ambulance but my pride gets in my way.

However, I have a friend who has gone to the ER many times due to pain from Fibromyalgia. She normally is given a low dose pain med and a script for higher strength meds.

It's ok to go if you are in high amounts of pain. The ER cannot turn you away. At least not a public one.

Good luck and best wishes! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/30/08  8:12pm
" I have been to the e.r several times for herniated disc and sciatica before i found pain management and they would always give me demerol shots and a script of oxycodone and the pain would be gone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/01/08  2:10am
" i would go to the er.
they can write out a request for a mri.
They can also help out with pain relif as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/01/08  2:12am
" just being reading the replies.
At the hospital i go to they always do an xray and request for an mri.
They also write out referals to different spealcist.
thats in perth, australia. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/17/08  11:09pm
" This is the second say (the first is when I posted this) that I almost went. I am miserable but didn't go. I had to leave work after only 20 min of being there. I want to give up but I won't. If I wasn't me, I'd have probably had a nervous breakdown already. As me, I am the closest I've ever been. I have an appointment with a new doctor at the end of October but I'm nearly losing my mind now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/18/08  12:45pm
" Lisa, did you call your drs? What did they say? I went to the ER last week because I was in such bad pain that I couldnt even think straight and I was extremely anxious and couldnt stop crying. I called my docs first and both said go to ER.
I am a nurse and know for a fact that pain pt's arent treated with the most open arms there but I had NO CHOICE. I needed relief. I also had to call emergency services because I couldnt drive. They also werent very nice but after seeing my vital signs they were better. My bp was 174/125 heart rate was 120 and I threw up in their ambulance. Anyway the nurses were not nice and I actually yelled about one of them commenting that I should go to fast trac(for in and out pt's). I told her to f'ing go to fast trac that I needed serious help(so not in my normal personality). Anyway I threw up more in the er(alot) and my vitals did not recover so the dr finally came over and ordered meds. They also took useless xrays to make sure my hardware was intact. I doubt they will do an MRI but its up to the dr and hospital policy. I told everyone I was a pain man patient so they knew that I wasnt messing around.
Come to find out I also had a kidney infection causing me to be in more pain than usual. Go figure.
I took my discharge papers to the pain dr and explained why I went and thank god I wasnt dismissed as a pain pt(they can do that if you go to the er). Please make sure you call your pain dr if you go. I wont try to even tell you to "just calm down" because I know that you are probably past this point but please call the dr's.

Good luck and I do hope you feel better soon. Hugs,Christine "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/18/08  4:51pm
" When you are flat on your back, do you put pillows under your knees ?
When I am in pain I lay on the couch and put 3 pillows under my knees.
If I lay on my bed, I fold my body pillow in half (so it is twice as tall) and put that under my knees.
I also lay on ice when I am hurting really bad.
My physical therapist showed me how just tilting my pelvis some give a lot of relief because that puts your spine in a different position, and relieves the muscle pain.
Hope you get to feeling better !
Let me know if I can help ! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web