pain 4 years after surgery (fusion)
I had back surgery in June of 2007 fusion and a laminectomy I have rods and screws L5-S1 and 75% of the disc gone at the L4-L5 I have been on pain meds since the surgery I was told to expect that due to the fact that I did a number on my back (I work 10-11 hrs a day) but in the past 2 months the pain has gotten severe again and is worse then before surgery I can be walking and my legs will go out mostly the left leg I cant bend over at my waist when I do I lose feeling in both legs and cant feel my toes I had an MRI on Friday but wont know results till monday just wondering if anyone else has had this what was done to take care of it thanks
Posted on 01/30/11, 11:15 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Back Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/30/11  12:18pm
" I had fusion about 6 years ago and still have the pain and it has spread to my hips. I tell friends it fixes the problem ( discs gone or blown etc), but not the pain. H have been on pain meds and relaxers since. I was getting 40 pills vicoden every six months, so I used then wisely. Not the Dr won't refill it and I am not sure why. I did not abuse them and over the counter does not work on bad days.
Try trigger point injections they helped me
Good luck and we are all her for you,
Janie "
Reply #2 - 01/30/11  12:29pm
" I have had all the pt 6 injections i have a tens unit im on muscle relaxers nsaids which i cant take the mscle relaxers at work on pain meds i take 3 times a day and i can tell when they are wearing off they help calm it but dont help the lose of the legs and i can be just sitting there doing nothing and my legs will start spasing and jumping thanks for the advice "
Reply #3 - 01/30/11  12:37pm
" hi again
I have a tens unit too, but forget to us it.
I work at home so that is good. Sitting too long I feel it in the leg and hips. But I know you can't take any of the meds at wor out side the home, how people do that I don't know.
I now have a 15 month (tomorrow) grandson and at 20 lbs, I am going to have to stop lifting him up, makes me sad.
J "
Reply #4 - 01/30/11  12:50pm
" I know that feeling I have 8 grandkids and they love to climp on me and have me pick them up and since my back has gotten worse im on a 5lb weight limit and i hate not being able to pick them up 1 of my grand daughters was born on my birthday and she is 19 mths old and loves to be held and cuddled and i cant pick her up just breaks my heart she dont understand why i cant but she is still all smiles for me "
Reply #5 - 01/31/11  4:31am
" Hi ~ I hate to tell you this but this kind of thing happens frequently after fusion surgery. The levels above/below the surgery site fail - they either bulge or herniate because they have had to take up much of the load. They've had to work harder. This happens almost all the time after fusions -- and even after regular spinal surgery. I had 2 open surgeries on L3-4 & L4-5 and now my spine is a total wreck. They tell me now that I'm inoperable - there's no more fix to me especially siince I have osteoporosis.

I would imagine you have at least one herniation -- My advice is DO NOT let them operate again. If you do, you will continue to have more and more herniations.
You would be better off by going into physical therapy and pain management to manage the pain. Surgery does NOT help pain anyway -- most of the time you're left with the same pain if not worse. If you do get pain relief, you're just lucky, but most people end up with the same pain. Surgery is just to fix mechanical problems. So go to pain management and hopefully there they also have physical therapy. That should do you just as much good as surgery. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee "
Reply #6 - 01/31/11  10:34am
" Well, hopefully you've not had any of your hardware break or pull loose. Would take surgery to repair that.

Definitely if any nerves or your spinal cord is being compressed you want to prevent permanent damage. Surgery would be needed.

I can only imagine that nerves are involved and I hope you can get some relief .

Surgery is one thing I'm avoiding as long as possible. "
Reply #7 - 01/31/11  10:53am
" Rosetaz, I had to have mine removed after two year. Yes an other surgery, I had a screw loose. Husband had a good time with that line LOL.
But yes, I am in pain now, but no more surgery, no matter what.
They are looking a my knee now. I just want numbing shots, no surgery! "
Reply #8 - 01/31/11  6:36pm
" Well I got my MRI back at it doesnt really show anything it says at L4L% there is diffuse circumferential disc bulge w/ moderate bilateral facet ligamentun flavum hypertrophy whatever that means i just feel like people are going to think im just facking it and im not one to complain and i work really hard at work told all the time they wish they could clone me im just down about it all "
Reply #9 - 01/31/11  9:17pm
" mamaw8n, you aren't faking it. I feel for you and pray u have family support, because medical can be a bit Calais. "
Reply #10 - 01/31/11  9:53pm
" mamaw,

I had a 3 level/360 fusion in Nov. of 07, and I am still in intractable pain. I have pain all of the time, and permanent nerve damage that an SCS takes care of (spinal cord stimulator). You need to get a second opinion or find a Neuro that will look at your spine through a Myelogram or Discogram to see if there is something that the MRI missed. Neither one of those tests are very comfortable, but they are worth the try!

Like Leeall saids all of the time, a fusion surgery only fixes the structural damage on the spine, it does not take the pain away, and that is why a lot of us are still in pain years after receiving a fusion. I wish that I had this group before having my fusion, I would have not done it! But now is too late, and now I just have to deal with it.... Take care, and know that we are here for support!
Hugs, "