Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Zoning out!
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Okay I have a question about kids zoning out. I work in an elementary school and one of the little boys (4th grade) I work with zones out 95% of the day. Does anybody know any tricks or tools that would help him focus more on what the teacher is teaching. Even one on one, I am having a hard time getting him to focus. He can zone out so easily and it's not something that has always been the case in school, but the older he gets the worse it gets.
Posted on 10/01/09, 04:55 pm
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Autism / Autism Spectrum. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/01/09  5:24pm
" glutin free casein free diet. My grandson was so zoned out until we started him on it. He reacts now instead of ignoring. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/01/09  7:11pm
" Ya I totally agree with you!! But how do I tell the parents you know? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/02/09  9:49am
" Well first you have to see what kind of a learner he is. Lots of kids with Autism have unique ways of learning. Me son learns best by example and visuals. If your student is a visual child it might help him in class to be seeing what is being thoutgh in pictures not just words. Well there is so many techenics that can help them focus. My son is still young but when he is in his own little word it realy helps if i touch him that brings him back to focus also if we are at day care i sit him right in front of the teacher and it helps him listen and be able to focus and intereact with what is going on in class. Does he hear you when you talk to him when he is zoming out ? I am asking this because my other son does this and his doctor thinks he is haveing seizures. There is a type of seizure where the child or adult just looks like they are zoomed out they can hear you and there eyes are open but they can not hear or respond to you. Hope this helps you a bit. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/03/09  8:10pm
" I agree with Alexandra... basicaslly try to make the work relevant and interesting to him... i mean, if he is anything like me he will still zone out but if its possible to make it very relevant, he will hyper focus... :-) "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web