Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
screeching
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
In the past week, my son has started screeching, and it's about killing my ears. I don't know how this started, but I think it's some sort of release for him to help dealing with overstimulation. I don't know how to get him to stop, especially since he understands some requests but not others. HELP!!!
Posted on 05/08/07, 06:22 pm
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Autism / Autism Spectrum. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/08/07  10:20pm
" Is he doing it because he is frustrated, bored or just likes hearig himself? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/09/07  2:12am
" please if you find out how to stop it let me know selina does it a lot especially in the taxi to school, i have tried a lot of different things, her favourite cd her favourite toys nothing works. sorry i cant help love donna "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/09/07  9:33am
" We are going through the same ear piercing noise around here. Mike hits notes that just run up my spine. He will stand right next to me and just let it rip. I have tried time-outs, butt swat and ignoring the bahavior all together. Even the neighbors have complained aabout the screeching. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/09/07  11:18am
" My son too has started this a couple of months ago. I've observed it only when he is extremely excited. I've had to quietly say, Wow, that really hurts my ears. I know you're excited, can we show it another way? I basically used redirection. Whenever he does it, I treat it the same way. He always stops and does something different. He's not doing it as much now, but for some reason a while ago, it was all the time and like I said, only when he was excited (extremely happy) about something. I also think he likes the hearing himself do it.

I explained how certain noises hurt his ears and that noise really hurt mine. He just needs reminders it seems these days. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/09/07  12:59pm
" My son does it ALL the time! I can't get him to stop. It hurts my ears so badly! I can't even take him to the library because of it! He's been doing it for 3 years now, and because it is so often and so loud, we were asked to leave a waiting room at a doctors office! I hope for the sake of everyone's ears here that someone has an answer for us :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/09/07  2:25pm
" We also say "g.c. that hurts our ears. Please stop chirping" Sometimes as he's doing it he'ss even tell himself "stop chirping" At school they tell him they will turn off the computer screen if he chirps. It helps. A lot of it is beyond their control like "turrets" sp? They can learn to self regulate over time but I think it'll be a few more years till they can effectively. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/10/07  9:25am
" The screaming was better this morning. Mike wanted to wear a special shirt and it was real simple if he screamed he would not be allowed to wear the shirt. Hope it will work again..... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/11/07  12:29pm
" I spoke with my son's child psychologist about his screeching during a visit last night. She said a few things may trigger it. It could be simply that he's exploring the volume of his voice. It could also be the release of overstimulation. He mainly does it when I'm trying to teach him the concept of "mine". I think it may be frustration, but when he does do it, I cover my ears and say something like, "Owie, that's owie to daddy's ears," and act sad while saying it. The child psychologist said that's about all I can do for now. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web