Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lovenox
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm getting closer to scheduling the ablation,, but the Lovenox part is freaking me out.
One EP said I can load up Coumidin before but the EP I am choosing says that won't help. I can't bring myself to do the LOvenox thing tho.. Any comments/tips?
Thanks!
Posted on 10/27/09, 08:18 pm
18 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/27/09  9:11pm
" Hi NHNM, I don't know about Lovenox and its effects, but I can say that ablation was an easy procedure. Mind you I was under anaesthetic as the surgeon wanted to to trial various medications in my heart to pick the best after he had completed the ablation for atrial flutter. I hope someone can reassure you about the medication. I know I am very cautious about any new medication and search the Internet to find info and ask my doctor oodles of questions. i wish you well with your procedure. God bless you and I pray for peace for you and success. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/27/09  9:54pm
" Some doctors just like you to take the Lovenox. Mine did not, thankfully. I just took the coumadin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/27/09  10:00pm
" Lovenox, a blood thinner, is used following many surgeries that require blood thinners to prevent clots from forming. They usually give Lovenox and coumadin at the same time until you reach the desired INR level and can sustain it on coumadin only. I gave myself the injections for about a week after my ablation last February. I was not taking coumadin before the ablation, but had to take it for the first three months following the procedure. The injections were not pleasant, but not too bad.

My husband is required to take insulin injections four times a day and so I didn't feel too bad about doing the Lovenox injections for a week. All of the post-op stuff was very worthwhile as I am a-fib free now.

This is all very scary and I sympathize with you. However, living with a-fib can be scary too. I, too, wish you peace and success with your ablation. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/28/09  5:58pm
" Hi. i had an ablation and spent four days in the hospital getting 2x daily lovenox shots with the oral coumadin , It was the worst part of the whole experiance getting those shots. but what helped was to breathe deeply from the belly and a long exhalation. I find that helped a lot. I hope that helped. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/28/09  6:29pm
" Thanks folks
I had heard that if you inject it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y it is OK.
It's frustrating that some EP "insist" (well they can't force you I guess) and others don't. Same as post procedure meds. One said Maltaq in addition to current meds for a few weeks, the other EP said no. But there is an art to medicine, I know, and differences of opinion. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/28/09  9:01pm
" I also had to take it and found for myself if I put cold on the place I was gonna give myself the shot...it helped me alot. I had to do it for a little over a week. I hated it too but it is easier than a-fib. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/20/09  8:02am
" Just had ablation on Tuesday. I too have to take shots of Lovenox and I take a coumadin as well. My wife gives me the shots. I have to do this twice a day for 5 days. Other than a little burning after the shot, I seem to be tolerating it pretty well. I'm still in the recuperation stage and I'm a little tired. Will post my experience with the surgery under another topic. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/23/09  7:24pm
" I have one more "Love"nox treatment to go. Do you believe this costs $90 per vial! (OK, $50 total with insurance) and I only had to do it for 3 days. I have a tip - iPod!
I put a nice relaxing tune on, put me headset on, and then do the Lovenox. It's all over before the song is over! This has helped! : ) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/23/09  8:44pm
" My husband taught me a trick he does when he gives himself insulin injections four times daily. Place the needle very gently on the skin you have cleaned with the disinfecting wipes. Move the needle around ever so slightly until you find a spot where you cannot feel the needle to give yourself the injection. There are apparently spots between nerve endings that do not hurt as much. It worked for me while I was using Lovenox! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/24/09  9:56am
" Thanks for the tip! This is what we can do to help each other. Even tho I finished with Lovenox today, I felt tense and naseous before it. Another tip I learned was to push the needle in slowly right thru the skin (rather than jab it like a dart, the way they teach you), and pinch hard. I hardly felt it at all that way, although the medicine itself stung for about a minute. I do feel badly for people who have to do this every day but it isn't really all that bad. 3 out of 10? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web