DailyStrength will be undergoing a scheduled site upgrade, starting Monday, June 27 beginning at 7am EDT (4am PDT). This should take approximately 28 hours to complete. During that time, you will not be able to register as a new member or make any new posts.

More DailyStrength
Health Event Calendar
See what's new on the site
Step-by-step Tutorials
How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Atrial Fibrillation and flying
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi - I would be really grateful for any advice.

I recently got out of hospital after being diagnosed with permanent AFib. Am currently on Digoxin, Amiodarone and Ramipril to slow the HR down, and also Warfarin to prevent blood clotting. Just prior to being admitted, we booked a 2wk holiday to Turkey (2nd May, abt 4hr flight) and was going to shop around for insurance, but never got the chance. We only paid a low deposit. We now find that our only options are to cancel the holiday, and pay/lose 50% of the cost - or still go (and take it easy for 2wks - hotel is right on the beach, so no climbing etc).

I am awaiting an appointment for a CardioVersion, but don't know how long I will have to wait (also have not yet got a follow-up appt with my cardiologist).

Anybody else had any similar situations?
Posted on 04/01/08, 06:36 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/03/08  7:07pm
" Decided 'what the hell, we are going anyway - and will just take it real easy'

Typically, got my CardioVersion appt through today for 29 April - 3 days before we fly!!! Cardiologist has said over phone that it shouldn't be a problem, can still fly after. I know that I will have to change my meds prior to the CV, and don't want anything to change (as I feel my AF is under relative control at the mo), so am currently thinking about postponing the CV until after we get back from Turkey. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/04/08  9:58am
" Wow, I'm amazed at how unalarmed you are. I was just diagnosed on March 11, have had echocardiogram, Holter monitor, and nuclear stress test and throughout my dose of Atenolol and Coumadin has been constantly adjusted. Seeing cardiologist in follow-up on Tuesday to find out what's next, probably cardioversion but I'm really scared of it. Anyway, see my journal where I've written daily. And happy flying. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/04/08  12:57pm
" Hiya Nagasaki - thanks for your message. I am alarmed, and not a little angry about our situation (as it should have been diagnosed way, way sooner). I would prefer to delay the hols until toward the end of the year, but we cannot, and everybody seems ok about it.

I have decided to postpone the CV until I come back from Turkey (will only be 3wks later). My meds seem to be controlling the AFib fantastically, and I don't want to stop taking them before I go away.

I may just be rebelling against how vulnerable I feel right now, but I'm determined to get on with my life. Going back to work (desk job) next Weds (2wks after getting out of hospital) - when I am stuck at home I can't think about anything else.

Regard the CV, I am not worried about having it done as my hospital seems to do it all the time, with a 70% rate of getting the patient back in NSR first time (please let me be one of them!).

My Warfarin (Coumadin) dose has stayed constant at 5mg since I started 3 wks ago (and will be having 4 more checks before I fly).

I hope things work out well for both of us - cheers, Lisa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/09/08  3:50pm
" Hello Lisa
I was diagnosed with af 4 weeks ago and so cardio last week who has suggested I go on Warfarin for life,will also have a 24hr ecg,and then cardioversion,I have permanent AF ,I am scared,was at my gp today to arrange blood tests and when I asked her what the long term prognosis was she said it will eventually be heart failure ,I am 52 and have a few major ops coming up soon ,wonder will they be able to go ahead when you have AF ?
Susie .
also in UK "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/13/08  10:15am
" I agree with you on your decision. Go on your trip and enjoy. Afib will be you for your lifetime and this trip is a once in a life time. We learn to live with and accept afib but we can also control it to a certain point. You should also join the yahoo chat group on afib because it has a wealth of information from its 2000 member plus it is called www.afibsupport.com Have a great trip......
Paula "

Add Your Reply

More From Around the Web