Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Triggers of A-Fib
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am very new to A-Fib, 1 week ago in fact. I have heard about caffeine causing a bout with A-Fib. Has anyone heard of Tobacco causing A-Fib?

What other triggers have you experienced that have caused A-Fib?
Posted on 02/26/08, 10:46 pm
27 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/28/08  1:31am
" Red wine, caffiene, chocolate...
That does it for me! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/29/08  3:28am
" Caffiene and exercise were my triggers at first. But right before my ablation it seemed everything and anything would trigger an attack! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/07/08  6:30pm
" I usually start getting PACs and instability after exercise, even walking for a while. But I've noticed that, while unstable, that a cold drink can send me into a persistent afib episode. It took a few episodes to note this pattern. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/10/08  6:00pm
" lying flat in bed, lying on your left side, caffein, tobacco (definitly - nicotine is a heart stimulant, ASPARTAME (FOUND IN ALMOST ALL DIET POP) cold drinks or ice cream. Hans Larsen - www.afibbers.org -has researched and written a book on atrial fibrillation which will give you more information than you will ever get anywhere else. As the condition progresses you will become more and more sensitive to everything.Good luck, I hope you have good insurance, I'm dependent on the VA, in other words I'm screwed. BG "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/02/08  8:59am
" I saw the movie "march of the Penguins" the same week-end that I went to an Arlo Guthrie concert... that did it for me... I ended up admitted to the hospital in my first diagnosed episode of A Fib... I think I had had it a long time previous, however.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/02/08  9:12am
" I am convinced that a violent allergic reaction to an antibiotic called Avelox triggered the onset of my A fib. It seems obvious to me that anything that would make your heart race would have an effect - caffeine, exercise, etc. - in pulse rate but I'm not sure if that correlates exactly to what you'd see on an EKG as A fib. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/15/08  10:15pm
" Triggers for me have been...

Lying on left side
Caffeine
Alcohol
Dehydration
Sleep Depravation "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/16/08  10:54pm
" I read on another blog that most of people said a large meal would
trigger A-Fib. I would have most of my A-Fibs starting about an hour after supper. I had A-fib for about 20 years and lived though it. good luck ........Old Norm "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/17/08  7:40am
" Add over the counter cold and allergy meds that contain stimulants... they can cause an episode "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/17/08  2:51pm
" Add Eating late (or lying down to soon after a meal). "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web