Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group
Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.
I am truly sorry for what happened to your wife, however I believe it was a terrible, but isolated event and something similar could have occured with many different medical procedures and is not unique to ablations.
I understand that everyone wants there to be an easy solution to this problem -- but it is NOT catheter ablation. If I were highly symptomatic and just could not stand it anymore, I might go to someone like Dr. Natale who know what he is doing.
Otherwise, you are taking your life in your hands.
Do your research. Know what questions to ask.
You can not trust your doctor.
Sorry to hear what happened to your wife but that also happens with many surgeries sometimes so you try to research and pick the best. Living with a condition is not acceptable with many. Even though my afib is not too symptomatic at times it is and I believe the Flecainide is masking how symptomatic I am. I've become more frequent once a week now and it's been four years now and enough is enough. Not willing to stay on toxic drugs. I'm booked with a Natale ablation in 12 days.
What concerns me is the profit-driven push to have this procedure performed at local hospitals with inexperienced operators -- that's how people get hurt.
I wish you success and good health, you'll do well with Natale.
I agree with you that's why I waited even three top EP's in New York
I only felt comfortable with a doctor like Natale and I haven't even met him yet. He's just been named executive director at St Lukes in the city here New York. I was going to go to Mt Sinai but being this is a teaching hospital I got spooked.
I was in afib most of the day and it was not pleasant
Most people you speak with have no clue what afib is or an ablation and they think you can go to just any hospital and have this done.
God Bless you and Sorry for your tragedy.+
On the other Forum by Hans there is a poster there who also had their mitral valve damaged and had to be replace. You would think 11 years after your wife's tragedy they would at least be at the highest learning curve and supervision in doing this procedure. Thaty why I picked Natale, he oversees all his procedures and brings in his own staff from out of town at St Lukes except for some local ones. That's what scares me EP's who think this is routine because it's been 10 years now at least since this procedure has become mainstream
I called the office for advice several times. My Cardio Dr. got on the phone and told me I needed to have an ablation, asap. He was going to set me up with apt. with his EP.
I asked him if it would be done locally, he said no, I would have to travel an hour to the larger hospital.
I said that could be a problem for me.
He said, "not a problem, you can drive yourself down in the morning, have your ablation, spend the night, and drive home the next day"
I was Speechless, and got a new Cardio Dr. asap!
My new Cardio Dr. said, I did Not need ablation, the Epi had altered my heart and it would return soon.
I did a follow up with another new EP. Being new, we talked for about 15 minutes about my history. He left the room, came back with a packet. " Here is all the information you will need to prepare for your ablation. I am a month out for your appointment. Call this number to schedule a date."
I went to him for his advice on how best to handle my afib, which by that time had diminished ( I am now in day 61 NSR.) But, I guess he did not hear me.....he had his agenda, I could tell!
I will be returning to the 2nd Cardio Dr. who said, No Ablation, for my care.
Good for you for thinking for yourself.
Good health to you.
Dan
"Thaty why I picked Natale, he oversees all his procedures"
Oversees? I was under the impression that Natale actually DOES the procedures. That's a fundamental difference, could you clarify this?
Natale actually does the whole procedure start o finish actually does the first punch of the catheters after the sheaths are inserted. He teaches other doctors or residents but they never touch the catheter for any of his ablations I'm told since its his signature on the ablation.
Unlike some other EP mentioned here.
Sorry
I don't know anything about him....it just seems alittle hard to believe that if he is teaching others they are only watching.
It is very hard to put your life into someones hands....but he sure has a great reputation.
Best wishes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNT_Cqmb0M
petey