How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Ablation at 41? Anyone else similar age?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hey everyone,

I have had a few now for 3 1/2 years and it has been slowly but progressively getting worse. I had some dental work done in the end of December and every since then my heart is been going crazy. I get the hard thumping PACs out of the blue, dayand night, they do seem to be worse after I eat and first thing in the morning.

I use the pill in pocket strategy to convert my episodes but I haven't had one long enough to convert since December 1. My heart keeps flipping in and out of afib and I am having these short episodes probably twice a week. The rest of the time I'm getting strong palpitations that feel just about as bad.

My electrophysiologist says the next step is to go on a daily dose of antiarrhythmic drugs but when I take them I feel so awful it feels like I'm going to die and I can't imagine taking them every single day. My EP won't do ablation until you have failed on at least two antiarrhythmic drugs. As well they don't do a lot of them so the success rate say "are in the range of 40-60%. He also warned me about serious side effects such as esophageal fistula, stroke and death.
As a result of this if I decide to go I think I will go to bordello for the procedure. The last time I read nobody had ever developed an esophageal fistula or died in the center.

I would very much like to hear of other people around my age who opted for ablation just to compare how serious their situation was and what kind of results they had with it. I realize one of the limiting factors here is the fact that those who get better tend to disappear off these boards after a time so you tend not to get a host of long term experiences.

Still I would love to hear from whoever takes the time to answer.

Monty
Posted on 02/14/13, 12:41 am
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 02/16/13  9:53pm
" Monty,

Do you live in France? Or would you consider a place in the US? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 02/16/13  10:59pm
" When you add the other types of ablation procedures that he does, that number is much higher. I decided to go with this EP based on his reputation and the new equipment that Miami Valley Hospital has been acquiring, and building a seperate heart building, wanting to become one of the top places. Dr. Krebs is the director of the lab and I always make the joke with people that getting in to see him is like trying to see the President. It takes months to get an appt. Even so, I will have a list of questions to ask before the ablation and when I get there. I thought I knew alot about this but am realizing there is so much more. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 02/17/13  8:17pm
" heart2222,

I live in Canada. I would love to go to the US and I have a few docs there that top my list. The problem is that if I'm paying out of pocket the US is easily triple the cost.

The guys that are local here are not great and the ones that are decent are about a 3 hour drive south but the waiting times are long and, from what I understand, they want you to have failed an AAD first.

Monty "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 02/17/13  10:44pm
" For me, I had to fail at least one AAD. I failed three. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 02/20/13  5:49pm
" Wow, I see your predicament, montos. These medical procedures can be VERY expensive. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web