Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
How long do you stay in afib before heading to ER/
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was wondering how long anyone stays in A fib before going to ER/MD.
going on 8 hours.
Mek2
Posted on 07/31/11, 07:52 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/31/11  10:04pm
" I would head in. My attacks have never lasted more than an hour, so I don't know. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/31/11  10:25pm
" I don't know how long I was in afib before I dropped in to my dr. office to have him check my BP, but my pulse was racing and I was in afib and he sent me to er immediately. I have also gone to er to have them check my bp and they admitted me immediatelly. You can always do that, go to er and have them check. My last attack lasted 18 hrs that I know of. The er gave me an IV to stop it, but it didn't work, so even tho my heart was still irratic my pulse was normal and they let me go home..I had to go to me dr. next day. I think the wondering can make it worse...maybe not. But I would go and have them check it for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/01/11  12:54am
" Go to ER, not to MD, now. AFib is due to abnormal electric circuits been activated in the heart tissue. The more you wait, the more the chance that the circuits become permanent. My cardiologist told me to take a metoprolol pill, and go to ER after 1/2 hour if AFib does not stop. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/01/11  11:47am
" It is common for my episodes to be anywhere from 12 - 25 hrs. Seldom are they longer. The only time I felt compelled to go to the ER was shortly after by ablation when my heart was also racing.

When an episode begins, it can be irregular as well as fast. after about an hour (sometimes shorter) it is just irregular, but no longer racing. Without doing anything strenuous, I just get on with my day or in some cases, sleep through it, since most episodes begin in the evenings.

If you don't have one already, get yourself a BP cuff with a pulse monitor. Mine is a Timex, fairly inexpensive and surprising accurate (I have brought it to the drs office). You will be able to see the irregular heart beats and how fast it is.

Since this disease is so different in every one, I would ask the dr. for guidelines.

Take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/01/11  2:26pm
" Here here on the ask your doctor for your own guidelines...my EP and Cardiologist told me to come right in if I was over 155 bpm, wait three days if I was between 130 and 155, and if under 130 bpm, just carry on as usual unless it was too uncomfortable...I always needed to be electronically cardioverted so I would often have to wait through a weekend as our little hospital did not staff the catheter lab on weekends...My longest bout was 10 days at about 126 bpm...they did not sem alarmed, and I flew from the East to the West Coast for work during that period...it is different for everyone, so please work out YOUR own plan with YOUR caregivers...best of luck to you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/01/11  6:15pm
" Thank you everyone for your responses..I did talk to my cardiologist and EP. I was told if it was longer then 8 hours head in. Yesterday it started at 1:10pm and stopped at 8pm, so it lasted 7 hours. I took extra lopressor 12.5mg when it started. My heart rate stayed between 120-140's if that, very hard to know since it is irregular. EP says just come on in and we can cardiovert you, acting like it is a party ...right i really dont want to have my heart zapped, just so it can happen again later.
I have decided to stop taking the fish oil
and the cal/mag drink, i will continue my multivam and 325mg asprin.
mek3 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/01/11  8:02pm
" Meg,
Why stop the Fish Oil. Have you heard that it's a problem?
Kat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/01/11  10:13pm
" I'm so glad you are OK. I have sure learned alot from your episode. I will talk to my Dr. tomarrow, because he has told me nothing, and now I have the specific questions to ask him for my episodes. Bless you and everyone who responded to this post for sharing. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/02/11  1:25pm
" I was taking fish oil but once I had my stroke (TIA) he told me to stop. That is also when I started taking my blood thinner. Again, your doctors should know your history and the pills that you take, they will be your best guide. I was more adamant on what I would take or not until I had the stroke (1 1/2 years ago) - now I question everything, and if they have a good explanation, I follow it. I do not try to medicate or un-medicate myself.

Joan "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/02/11  2:21pm
" To Meg I decided to stop taking the fishoil since it was something new to my diet and since being on it I have had four episodes also on this site members have mentioned how it caused more afib. So I ha e decided to stick with what my cardiologist and EP ordered and that was toprol xl 50mg at bedtime and 325mg aspirin daily,along with my multiivam daily
mek3 "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web