Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
chronic afib?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was wondering if you can have chronic afib after just being diagnosed and have no symptons. My mom was just diagnosed with a fib the other day. She has had 2 ekg withing 3 days and they both show afib. Does that mean she probably always has it? She sees a cardiologist in a couple months. She feels no symptoms but I can feel her pulse skipping.She has some sob with exertion but thats been like that for years, plus shes overweight and not active. Her regular Dr just put her on warfarin and metoporol. I'm hoping that helps. If shes on both those meds, is it likely to stay the same or get better? Any advice would help. We are new to this and feel like its a death sentence. Thanks!
Posted on 03/05/11, 02:03 am
5 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Atrial Fibrillation (AFib). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/05/11  3:28am
" Hi Rebecca,
A Fib is NOT a death sentance :-) Believe me since my mother has had it for the past 15 years. She is now 87. Exactly like your mom, she does not feel any symptoms at all. However, I can feel her pulse which is all over the place and skipping lots of beats. But, she feels fine :-) I just don't get it, but that is the way she is.

The most important thing for the A Fib is that the platelets in the blood must be slippery enough to avoid blood clot which might result in stroke or a heart attck. There are several choices to accomplish that. She can be on coumadin (Warfarin), or take aspirin. That is what the medical doctors are advising. Metoporol helps to keep down the heart rate when she is in A Fib. But, none of the two drugs are really a cure. Warfarin is a blood thiner, which prevents blood clot.

It sounds like your mom's A Fib is exactly like my mother's A Fib.

I got A Fib 8 years ago, which would start suddenly and I could feel it. Mine was pretty violent at times. I ended up going to emegency a couple of times. But, then, I learned the drill. Take some drug to slow down the heart rate when it starts and sit tight until it goes away. That worked very well for me. To avoid blood clot, I took nattokinase, which does not thin the blood but makes the platelets slippery. My mom is also on nattokinase for the past 5 years since she almost bled to death when she was on Coumadin. Her doctor made a mistake in her Coumadin dosage.

It turned out my A Fib was diet/supplement related. My A Fib stopped when I stopped eating butter, cheese, nuts, and fish oil capsules.

If your mom is open to the idea that her A Fib might be caused by something she is eating or a supplement, then, she can try to vary her diet and stop all her supplements to see if her A Fib goes away. That is what I did.

Also, I know other people who have cured their A Fib by changing their diet.

I am pretty sure you will not find any doctor who would talk with her about diet or supplements. Drugs and procedures (abelation) are what is recommended by the medical community since they try to treat the symptoms rather than the cause for the A Fib. So, you are on your own if your mom wants to try what I did for my A Fib.

Some members on this site have had great luck with abelation. Now, that is a cure for A Fib if it works. She got to see an electrophysiologist to discuss her options.

Lots of luck to your mom. Take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/06/11  1:55pm
" Since she has no symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much. I wish I didn't have any symptoms. Having to feel it day in and day out, sucks big time. Feels like your life is about to end any day. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/06/11  6:24pm
" I am so surprised she was not advised to wear a holter monitor so that they can determine if she is in afib all the time. Also, 2 months is a very very long time to wait for an appointment in this circumstance. Considering she doesn't know what is the cause of her condition, ie heart disease, etc. Plus, they didn't ever try to cardiovert her?

My opinion is that you need to bring her to a cardiologist sooner rather than later. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/06/11  7:02pm
" Hi Rebecca

Scott is right, it is not a death sentence. This mises the point, however. For sufferers it can be absolutely frightening and debilitating, making it at times impossible to function properly. Firstlt, nothing you have said indicates necessarily that your Mum will always have it, not that if she does it will be a permanent fixture. You really need to wait until the cardio has made a proper diagosis. I had bad AF until December 2010 when I had a cryo ablation that so far has completely eradicated it.

I hope your Mum finds a solution.

Regards, Ken "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/07/11  12:16am
" Hi Ken,
Rebecca's mom appears to be like my mother. They are very lucky since they can't feel the A Fib. My mom has very irregular pulse and her EKG always shows A Fib, but she can't feel a thing.

I remember, most cardiologist that I went to 8 years ago, were very surprised that I could feel my A Fib. Some of them were saying it is only in my head. I don't have any physical probelm. Finally, the 1 month long holter monitor showed it and then they believed me.

My impression is that in the US, now we have a lot more people like me (feeling the A Fib) than my mother and Rebecca's mom (not feeling the A Fib). On this site, almost 95% of the people feel bad when they are in A Fib. Something is going on. More people are getting A Fib and they feel it.

I hope the medical community in the country is doing some research about the surge of A Fib in the US. There got to be a good reason for it. Is it diet, lack of sleep, our fast pace of life, or something else. I don't have the answer. I am sure, at some point, we will hear about some A Fib research.

Personally, I think there is a connection between taking the omega 3 fatty acid and the A Fib in some people. There might be other causes too. I hope we see some A Fib research soon. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web