04/18/14
Almost a full year 
4 By tcaepayguy
04/17/14
NSAID and Afib; what's next ? 
3 By pamdidi
04/17/14

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Information

• Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood. In AF, the regular electrical impulses of the sinoatrial node are replaced by disorganized, rapid electrical impulses which result in irregular heart beats...
  • Atrial fibrillation is the most common cardiac arrhythmia. The risk of developing atrial fibrillation increases with age ? AF affects four percent of individuals in their 80s. An individual may spontaneously alternate between AF and a normal rhythm (paroxysmal atrial fibrillation) or may continue with AF as the dominant cardiac rhythm without reversion to the normal rhythm (chronic atrial fibrillation). Atrial fibrillation is often asymptomatic, but may result in symptoms of palpitations, fainting, chest pain, or even heart failure. These symptoms are especially common when atrial fibrillation results in a heart rate which is either too fast or too slow. In addition, the erratic motion of the atria leads to blood stasis which predisposes to blood clots which may travel from the heart to the brain and other areas. Thus, AF is an important risk factor for stroke, the most feared complication of atrial fibrillation.

View Top Atrial fibrillation Answers at sharecare.com

Health Blogs

Here's a test to see how much you know about the incidence of heart disease in women. What percent of annual deaths of women in the United States are caused by coronary artery disease (CAD), and how does this percent compare with deaths from breast cancer?
1. Less than 10 are caused by cardiovascular disease, and twice that percent ... Read More »
Normally I write about infertility and miscarriage. I know more about both of those subjects than I ever wanted to because they came into my life, and to better deal with them, I learned about them. There is another health issue that is part of the fabric of my health, and about which I had to educate myself: heart disease. Heart disease has ... Read More »
Every year new medications and study results change the way we practice medicine. Many families will be affected by these new updates and recommendations. Innovation in medicine and science is something we should all celebrate so I’d like to introduce the 2012 game-changers.
1. Blood thinners for atrial fibrillation. When ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity