Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
cold weather
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
It has been extra cold for Texas and my asthma mostly acts up in the daytime mostly with activity. Well with the cold weather has cause me to have a really tight chest at night when I am out in the weather. it is like the cold weather " burns" in my chest. Anyone else have this problem? My inhaler helps but if I get back out my asthma acts up again with chest tightness and coughing. What helps this?

Thanks
Posted on 12/16/09, 11:08 am
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Asthma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/17/09  7:46am
" I get this too with cold weather and activity. One thing that seems to help me is a cold weather mask from an allergy supply place. It keeps you from breathing in the cold air (warms the air before you breathe it.) I even wear mine in the car. Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/17/09  12:17pm
" We live in the midwest where it has been 0 out and the cold is one of the worst times for me. I feel the same exact way! I have not found anything to help me except for steroids when I let it get to bad and this year I have been on them 2 different times. My inhaler never works. I did have to use the nebulizer and it worked this time.

Hope you get better. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/17/09  2:53pm
" How warmly are you dressing? Something we do here in Northern Canada is wear a scarf over our faces when it gets cold. I have to laugh at the thought of Texas being cold. Last year when I visited in Jan. they had a cold snap, it reached 38F Everyone was warning us about how cold it was going to be, wearing snowmobile suits, and to stay off the roads because they were "slick". We just smiled, because that is a warm winter day, here in northern Alberta.

Well, last week it was -52 F here. We actually had frost on the inside of the double paned windows, and it was the coldest place on the planet. I cope by not going out when it is that cold. The snow bothers me more than the cold - allergins, maybe? Perhaps your body is just not acclimated to the cold. It might be just the shock of not being used to cold temperatures. I don't exercise hard outside in winter, but I have shoveled snow, and worn a scarf without issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/17/09  11:04pm
" Haha yeah it's not near as cold as other places I know. and for here 38 is pretty cold and it has been getting that cold almost every night lol. I can handle the heat, except over a 100. lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/17/09  11:15pm
" As far as clothing I wear sweaters in 30 degree weather. I'm never outside for that long so figure that was fine. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/18/09  4:14pm
" I also live in Canada and have some trouble with the cold weather; I find that wearing a thick scarf over my mouth and nose or neck warmer helps for me; I know that in the south you guys have the same change in temperature from hot to cold as we pretty much do in Canada so I can understand your concern for the cold weather. But do try to cover your mouth and see if that helps; let us know how it works. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/19/09  3:06pm
" I am in England and get bad asthma too in the cold.
Best to wear warm clothes and use an inhaler.

A small drink of liquor also helps - I drink whiskey neat. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/19/09  6:15pm
" I don't care much for the cold much myself. As others have stated, I also wear a scarf to cover my nose and mouth when I go outside,. although adding a shot of whiskey sounds appealing . (thanks SMoritz.)
For me, the days with the blustery winds are the hardest.. Oh well, spring will come.
Tom "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/07/10  2:32pm
" its ah horrible winter in new york. 22 degrees most days. my sinus and stma is bad now, i dont go out much. nothing helps, chest tight all the time. so drink lots of tea and soup . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/07/10  2:57pm
" cold is my main asthma trigger. it's been freezing here for the past few weeks and i have found a mountaineering balaclava (berghaus) most successful. i can actually walk outside ! when it's not windy i wear one of these neck gaiters, also from mountaineering suppliers (the north face). the neck gaiter is slightly more fetching than the balaclave!
northerngoose "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web