Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lung pain in back
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am currently in the middle of a terrible flare up, no medicine is working, not even prednisone and my back (where my lungs are) is in a lot of pain so much so that I can't sleep on my back and most of the time can't think straight during the day.
Does anybody have any advice or anything that worked?
Thanks,
Tracie
Here's praying we all get the relief we need somehow?
Posted on 04/02/09, 02:58 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Asthma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/04/09  9:59am
" When my asthma flares up my back hurts like crazy. I can't sit back on the couch or let anyone touch my back. It usually eases with a breathing treatment or two and some prednisone. If it has been more than a couple days, I suggest calling your doctor. There may be something more going on in there.

~Robin "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/04/09  3:09pm
" Before I was able to get my asthma under control and my back hurt I found that leaning up against a heating pad worked really good for me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/25/09  1:12am
" i had to deal with the pain in my back also and on my side, the only thing the eases the pain for me is hot tea. try it then tell me how it works for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/25/09  2:26am
" I agree with the above: nebulizer breathing treatments to open the airways and reduce pain, pred to reduce inflammation and the pain, heating pad and hot tea also help. Could also try hot shower/bath. Could also look into a vibrating CF-type vest to loosen trapped mucous which may be blocking airways and causing inflammation and pain. Could also ask about a bronchodialtor like theophylline though usually not used due to toxicty problems. Could also ask about using muscle relaxants though these are also not usually used due to interaction problems. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/25/09  8:03am
" I use a product called 'BioFreeze'...it is a herbal liniment , comes in roll on or gel form. It takes a helper and use very little in only the affected area because it really makes you cold. In about 10 minutes everything is warm and the pain stops for 4-6 hours. It has a slight menthol scent that fades rapidly & I have not had a problem with it being a trigger.
Sorry you are so uncomfortable. Gentle hugs, Ohana "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/25/09  9:19am
" As Ohana suggested, you could also use a Head-on topical OTC analgesic product or even Icy-Hot or Bengay, or try Thermalcare. The problem with topical skin products containing methol is that they can irritate/burn the skin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/04/09  9:50am
" When i have an acute flare up, I also have severe lung pain. It is the one thing that the doctors DO NOT ever address. I always explain to my doctor about the pain and INSIST that he at least give me a pain medication so that I can sleep through the night. It can become a round robin of inflammation without any relief and sometimes the pain medication is all it takes to break the cycle. I do not take it for longer that a few days as I would not want to become addicted to it but it is so wonderful to be able to sleep. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/14/09  11:16pm
" I, too, have trouble with lung pain. My doctor would just nod when I'd complain, so I thought it was normal! Then I got bronchitis and when in another city visiting family, I got so sick my niece insisted on taking me to the urgent care clinic. The doctor there immediately put me on a nebulizer and said EVERY time I have lung pain to use it. It means your lung is collapsing!!!! I came home and talked to my doctor and she said "well, yes"....ARRRRRRGHHHH I find it really helps even though I get shakey! It beats the pain! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/15/09  12:24am
" Yes, pain can be a sign of collapse, though some doctors simply ignore this as they've unfortunately bee taught there are no nerve endings in the lungs and therefore no pain (like they would know). Good luck finding an understanding doctor though - and stick with one when and if you find it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/25/09  7:27pm
" I get that pain with sever attacks call your dr "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web