Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Singulair and Suicidal ideations
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Some of my patients as well as DS members have asked me about this so here is the info:

1) On March 27 the FDA issued an early communication regarding the agency's investigation of a possible association between the use of Singulair (montelukast) and behavior/mood changes, suicidality (suicidal thinking and behavior), and suicide.
2) The FDA anticipates that it may take up to 9 months to complete the ongoing evaluation of the data it has received.
3) The agency is reviewing the postmarketing reports on this subject, and it has requested that Merck evaluate Singulair study data for more information about suicidality and suicide.

IMPORTANT:
1) The FDA has NOT concluded a causal relationship exists between Singulair and suicide, and the agency is NOT advising health care professionals to discontinue prescribing this product.
2) The FDA has not reached a conclusion about whether this information warrants any regulatory action at this time.

TO SUM IT UP:
Health care professionals like myself, patients and caregivers should monitor patients taking Singulair for suicidality and changes in behavior and mood and obviously report them (to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program by phone: 1-800-332-1088, by fax: 1-800-FDA-0178, OR online https://www.fda.gov/medwatch/report...

Dr O.
Posted on 03/28/08, 11:10 am
20 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Asthma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/28/08  2:43pm
" I was just getting ready to post the same thing...Thanks DrO...much needed info! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/28/08  3:37pm
" Dr. O-

I've been on and off this drug for years and the only problem I had with it is this: IT DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK FOR ASTHMA (which while depressing, especially with its cost, did not cause Depression/suicidal tendencies :-)

It might work for allergies, but I honestly felt this drug worked a whole lot better in textbook theory than in real world reality. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/28/08  6:55pm
" wow... I've been on it for 6 years and never felt any suicidal feelings. There's too much in life I want to do. But thanks for the info! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/29/08  1:40am
" If we really read all the potential side effects of our meds we would be afraid to take anything. I had taken singulair for about a year with no adverse effects. Of course it didn't seem to help much either. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/29/08  2:54am
" I have not had problems with my moods or suicidal ideation, yet I feel singulair helps me with my allergic asthma. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/29/08  6:41am
" Singulair helps me with my allergic asthma. Is there any info on a time factor? The longer it is taken the more likely the suicidal association ? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/29/08  3:31pm
" No generally if you are going to have these issues with Singulair (and remember we dont even know yet if there is a link) they will likely happen soon after you start the medication
Dr O. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/30/08  1:29pm
" i ahve been on singulair for years. i was put on it as a trial before it was licensed in the uk. i ahve never had any problems with it not sure how effective it is but never had side effects from it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/31/08  6:03pm
" I was taking Singulair for 5 1/2 years..last year I started on B/C for endo..and last sept I hit bottom and suffered from increasing anxiety and depression leading to suicidal tendencies and a 3 day hospital stay. My children take it daily (one for asthma and one for allergies) and I am taking them both of it and looking for alternate therapies for them. I am freaked by the possibility that the Singulair accompanied with other meds did help lead to my downfall last FAll. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/31/08  9:35pm
" I started Singulair 7 years ago, which is also around the same time my depression started. I don't think the two are related though. I'm going to ask my doc on my next visit. I hesitate to change any of my meds as I end up in the ER when I do that. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web