Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Cold Drinks
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone else start coughing when they drink cold things? It seems really bad when it's something thick, like a smoothie...
Posted on 02/12/08, 11:09 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Asthma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/13/08  12:03am
" i know what you mean. i love ice cream but i get a nasty cough and really wheezie from eating it. sometimes it is not worth the aftermath to eat it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/13/08  8:47am
" I've had that problem but since being on therapy (Advair), I've been okay. But before, drinking anything really cold or eating ice cream would have me coughing and wheezing terribly. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/14/08  9:00pm
" Yes I cough every time I have a mocha frap. It never fails. I can eat ice cream, but the iced frappacinos make me cough for about 15 min. I know a few people who become bronchospastic after cold drinks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/15/08  12:17pm
" Ice cream & ice drinks make me cough. I have problems outside when the temps are below 25 degrees. I use a mask or scarf but it is like the air is extremely thin & I cough. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/15/08  3:21pm
" Yes, when they are really cold. Wow, I thought it was just me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/23/08  10:34pm
" Hi guys,

cold air causes bronchospasms. one of the first things we learn is NOT to give ice water to asthmatics/COPD'ers, as it causes bronchospasm. So, if you start having an acute attack, DO NOT drink anything cold! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/24/08  2:53am
" Happens to me all the time...yeah, like Marah, I thought it was just me too until I started reading these boards. It's unfortunate because I used to love icey cold drinks. Wahhh! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/20/11  1:21am
" wow ... i thought that this was just me .. everyone looks at me strangly when it occurs ... i guess it started last year out the blue i couldnt catch my breath and couldnt start coughing after taking a sip out of a cold tea i was already drinking ... and it happened periodicly for a about 2 months .. the doctor said it was really nothing but it has been occuring regularly since the end of july .. no cold food or drink .. i feel like my throat has stopped working .. i am so glad to have a clue as to what is going on .. thanks to those who started this post "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/20/11  1:21am
" typo couldnt stop coughing "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/20/11  6:59pm
" yes i have that proublem too. i drink my pop when it not too cold. sometime if i drink something cold i can start to cough and my chest to start to hurt. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web