Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Steriod injections
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hey guys,

Has anyone else been given steriod injections by their doctor for asthma?

My doctor gave me one earlier this week coz steriod tablets wernt working and so far my asthma has got worse. If anyone has had them, do you find they help?

I read somewhere that steroids supress the immune system, does anyone know if this is true. If it is this could explain the cold i have caught which has set my asthma off again.

Thanks

Leah
Posted on 05/17/08, 12:33 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Asthma. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 06/07/08  5:46pm
" Once again it is important to know how drugs work and what the side effects are.

Long-term use steriods can cause diabetes, regardless of family history, because of how the drug works. While a one-time dose isn't a concern unless the patient is already diabetic, continued usage in anyone can cause high blood sugars and diabetes.

It's also important to consult a medical professional such as a pharmacist or licensed nurse practitioner. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 06/07/08  7:00pm
" I have had steroid injections before. Several for severe asthma attacks. i dont know what the do, besides helping me get through the attacks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 06/07/08  7:47pm
" Leah,

I have had Solu-Medrol injected into me. It is a IV for for prednisone. It should not have made your asthma worse. It is suppose to work faster than pill form. I have had many of these shots and nothing has happened.Steriods do suppress your immune system and your are have more of a chance to get sick. I have been on steroids for 4 years now and everytime one of my kids or if I go out in public I take a chance of getting sick. In fact I just got out of the hospital a couple of days ago. Steroids are great for the lungs but bad in all other ways. I hope this helps you.

Bamababe "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web