Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Dating an Aspie
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I've been dating a guy for a little over a month now, and he just recently told me that he has Asperger's Syndrome. The first week we met we were always talking, either online or on the phone. Then the 2nd week he was quiet, and I thought he had lost interest or found someone else. Then in the 3rd week he was back to talking to me. I thought maybe he was busy with work and that's why he had basically dropped off the face of the earth. We've become a little closer, but then he told me that he has AS, and when I asked him what it was he sent me a link to wikipedia. When I told my friends about AS my friend told me the story of her ex, who was also an aspie. She had met him on an internet dating site and they hit it off well and then she found out he was cheating on her.

I'm a bit worried of the same thing happening. I'm obviously an NT, and just learning about AS. Is cheating a common thing with AS? Or was he just an ass who happened to have AS and make a bad name for the syndrome?

I've talked to my guy about this and he avoids the topic, I'm not sure if this is because he's guilty or maybe not understanding the way I'm bringing it up. I'm full of the normal anxieties that come with starting a new relationship, plus I'm learning about AS as I go along. I feel like my head will explode.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I just being overly worried? lol Thanks
Posted on 02/06/08, 05:36 pm
36 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Asperger Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/06/08  6:16pm
" My husband and son have AS. My son is 22 yrs old. And I know a lot about Asperger's.

Here are three "rules" for you to follow:

1. If you are serious about this guy, seriously learn about Asperger's and how they are DIFFERENT interpersonally. You cann't expect a relationship along normal lines. Whether you can get a suitable relationship going depends on a lot of things, and a lot of this has to do with where you score on patience, tolerance, clear thinking, knowledge, independence, strong self-confidence and adaptability.

2. Whether a person cheats depends on a lot of things and it is just not logical to say that because a person with one characteristic (in this case Asperger's) has done something (in this case cheating), all people with that characteristic might do it. This is stereotyping. It's like saying all dogs have a high probability of biting because one bit your friend. Get the bigger picture.

3. Asperger's is a permanent dysfunction, but Asperger people are people too and most of the same things hold. For example, if you just started dating this guy, give the relationship time to develop. As an Asperger person, he needs his time to himself. As a human being, it is just too much most times to expect instant symbiosis (and that is a problem anyway. Just for comparison, did you ever see "Fatal Attraction"? To sock it in even harder, maybe you could look up BPD and see the difficulties people like that have because, among other things, they don't discriminate sufficiently.

Respect his nature and choices and don't be demanding is my overall choices.Make sure you have a life going for yourself. It is unreasonable to expect a man to make your life and happiness for you. And an Asperger partner will sure teach you that lesson.

I reckon you have some work to do by yourself somewhere. We all do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/07/08  7:52am
" I came back to this as I was a bit worried I said the wrong thing. But I think I did ok.

But I saw clearer something you said. Maybe it is because I just answered your new topic re the same guy. Anyway, you said:

"I've talked to my guy about this and he avoids the topic, I'm not sure if this is because he's guilty or maybe not understanding the way I'm bringing it up."

I think you may be looking at this too rigidly. There is a third option: maybe he just DOESN"T WANT to talk about it. And why SHOULD he? I think you should ask yourself that.

I think it might help if you stop thinking about how things SHOULD be and focus on how they are and the implications of that. Eg, he doesn't want to talk. Maybe he never will. Sounds as if you like to talk. Problem. What can be done about this? Compare it to a girl wanting to turn a quiet, highly reserved and introverted guy into a wildly extraverted life of the party. Maybe she should just go get an extravert boyfriend and let the poor other guy be himself.

Or you could try figuring how to cut out all the fancy word stuff and just put to him what you want and see if he will do it. You could try bargaining: you do this and I'll do this. Be clear, brief and specific. If he won't do it, what can you do. Well, you can feel miserable, punish him, and keep trying to get what you want. Or you can give up trying to get what you want FROM HIM. This may necessitate leaving him. He might actually appreciate this if you are giving him a bad time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/07/08  11:00am
" I have Asperger's Syndrome and I'm dating a guy. I've never cheated on him or anyone else. My boyfriend just needs to be really patient with me and I do need time to myself too. If you would like to send me a message or add me as a friend you can. Dawn "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/08/08  1:28pm
" I am Aspie so is 16 yr old son. We need lot of support and love. But are worth it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/08/08  2:41pm
" Wow, A lot of good stuff has already been said, stuff worth thinking about.
I'll add that I abhor the idea of "cheating". I'm very into monogomous relationships. However, there are a lot of ppl that would argue that as long as you're not engaged, "all's fair in love..." so seeing other ppl, in their opinion is totally fair. That's not an AS/NT issue, it's more about personal point of view.
As to him pulling away for a week or so, well that's not uncommon for an aspie. It is fair for you though, to ask him to help you understand what he wants you to do during those times. Making sure of course that you're being fair to yourself and that you can accept that in YOUR relationships regardless of the AS factor. Sometimes, aspies can workout fair compromises so that the needs/feelings of both parties are met and dealt with. Still, you have to be ensured that he's not out roaming the bars; on some kinda' seriel killing spree; home alone crying his eyes out; or anything else that you'd deem socially inapproppriate. (chances are he's playing computer games, trying to stay comfortably numb ).
GL and keep trying!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/08/08  3:10pm
" I guess that I should hasten to add that knowing my condition and the (lack of) progress that I've made in being able to interact at a level that most NT's would find "acceptable", I've resigned to never enter another relationship. I don't want to sound like a martyr, I just say this to let you know that there is a certain rigidity of thinking in someone with AS that requires a lot of secondary (and even tertiary) issues that come into play in an aspie's thinking regarding dating. Remember that we have an Ultra-Tough time with socialization. I've no doubt that you're friend is wrestling with some of these issues too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/25/08  8:58pm
" AnnaSAF
I decided to weigh in as a male with milder wymthoms of SA...

I'm single and 45 yrs old...

Most with AS are sticklers to adhereing to basic rules of games and etc once they know and understand them for the most part...

this is a truism.. most are law abiding citizens etc

and very good at boardgames games and others like monopoly and chess etc. because of their strong understanding and often average to very high intellect they can be very hard to beat at games too.

that said most see it as a baisc rule of datin and relationships that cheating is unacceptable by society's rules and standards

so No Cheating isn't a normal AS trait...

the other factors of his past are more likely the influencive reason as to why this man cheats/cheated on you...

fear of committment?, psycological abse by wemon of his family, mom, grandmother, aunts, & sisters etc.

fear of eventuall abandonment or ostichization by you later because of As ...

conditioning by past experience? so he might be making sure he has a back up supportive person if you should leave him?

Who knows.. if you cannot get him to commuicate openly about this it will be very hard to determine what is up...

hang in there... but make sure he knows you love him and really care... that you are doing your best to understand him and you want him to show you effort toward him doing the same to be equal and fair to you too..

take time and work slowly... he'll come around if he really wants you in his life...

you might even have to do something hard for you both... such as give him a hiatus of life without you as a trial period of say 3 months to get him to shocking realization that his life really is better with you close to him in it vs you being distant instead?

let me know what happens and good luck to you

Walt "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/23/09  12:00am
" I started hanging out with a man with mild AS about 2 months ago. Our connection was quick and intense.

I thought everything was going really well. I loved his honesty, attentiveness, genuineness and intellect.

Two weeks ago, however, he told me he isn't boyfriend material. Not really understanding, I assumed there was something about me that turned him off -- so I asked for feedback. He said there was nothing wrong -- and that he "digs" me.

I wanted to wilt -- but with God on my side, I fought against taking it personally. It seemed like the right thing to do. He called just as often the week after.

This week, however, is different. It is as though he has disappeared. I'm still fighting off the urge to take it personally -- but I'm doing fine. Life is full of wonderful things and, as much as I would like to include him in my life, I won't be devastated if that's not a mutual sentiment. I have no desire to control him.

I have felt as though it's important to just be patient and not aggressive. It doesn't seem as though he favors aggressiveness. So, I've been content to let him initiate phone conversations, etc. (I'll admit -- I guess it feels "safe" to me, too -- but I just don't want to be overbearing. I have this instinct that's the worst thing I could do.)

But -- reading some of the input here -- I'm a little worried I'm NOT doing the caring thing. Do guys with AS appreciate it more if you reach out to them to remind them you're there and that you care? I'd find that very easy to do -- but I'm so concerned about him feeling pressured....

Or is letting them play the lead better?

I can be patient for as long as it takes. But will he construe my patience as some sort of sign I've forgotten about him and moved on?

Any guys with AS have any thoughts?

THANK YOU! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/23/09  1:24am
" First of all, AnnieSAF good luck! And rosem111 has some great guidelines! There's actually a lot of good information here and I agree that cheating is not a symptom of AS. I think it can be a byproduct though because aspies are people just like anyone else in that they suffer from fears of abandonment, rejection...other negative responses. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/23/09  10:37am
" thanks for all your advice, I was patient with him, but we ended up deciding that it wasn't meant to be. We're still friends and actually have been talking alot more recently than in the past. Go figure lol. What I've learned is that you have to be patient, and understand that there are times when they need to be alone, and it doesn't have to do with you. I guess my fear when I posted this was that he'd cheat on me like the other guy I dated... but he didn't. lol Thanks again for the advice, and good luck to all! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web