BUTT BONE PAIN
Can anyone tell me why my butt bones hurt so bad, especially the right side. Sitting is almost unbearable especially if the seat is hard, i.e. commuter rail, public transportation. What causes this condition? Can it be fixed? I'm desperate for some advice on how to improve this condition. Along with arthritis in my knees (had surgery-not replacement) and back (nothing you can do for this I hear) it kills me to sit. THANKS TO ANYONE.......Renee
Posted on 06/25/08, 04:58 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 06/25/08  8:55pm
" Alot of times when you have arthritis in your knees or hips you tend to walk differently. Sometimes favoring one side more than the other. This can cause lower back pain or irritate your siatica nerves. That can cause some serious butt pain. Once your walk is corrected the pain will ease. You might want to visit a Chiropractor. Before my knee replacements I had terrible pain like yours. I get an adjustment every 6 months now and it helps alot. "
Reply #2 - 06/26/08  12:35am
" What about tail bone pain ? that is what I have , bad knees , bad back & fibro , I also have that hip pain and numbness that goes dowm my leg.( sorry to cut in to your post)never heard anyone else talk about this kinda of pain.
thanks
valentine "
Reply #3 - 08/11/09  2:33am
" The reason my tail bone hurted was I fell on my kitchen floor and landed sitting up. My doctor recommended therapy and there was an excellent therapist that did some type of stretching and after 3 treatments I was fine. It has to be someone with extensive knowledge in therapy and manipulation--he really helped me--maybe you could try this "
Reply #4 - 08/12/09  1:21pm
" Renee,
This sounds like the same pain I have had. I was told mine was SI joint pain. You can have that from a fall or even just twisting wrong. I have OA in my spine. I fell 5yrs ago and fractured my T12 joint and at that time injured the SI joint. I now have OA in the lumbar spine also and that has triggered the pain again in the Butt. There are times my Butt pain is terrible and makes it extremely difficult to sit or stand for periods of time.

Try to see a doctor that will refer you to a good PT for therapy, which will help. They show you how to stretch etc, to help with the pain. And take NSAIDS or any pain meds you can.

If it is the SI joint you can get injections that help also. Sorry to say though nothing has totally elimated the pain for me.

Good Luck and take care "
Reply #5 - 01/05/10  3:21pm
" Well I have tailbone and the pelvic bone pain that is being spoken about. I have had to learn to sit with the weight equally on my thighs instead of my a&&. Even when driving. it has made a huge difference. Also a heated car seat really helps. There is a patch that is (Naproxen only) that I apply every 12 hours. It does work very well and does not bother my stomach. "
Reply #6 - 01/05/10  8:31pm
" A friend of mine had to have her tailbone removed - she has a degenerative spine issue, though. Might be something to mention to your doctor, but is most likely due to what cometrock said, and we walk differently when our joints hurt, so we throw off alignment and that causes pain. Good luck! "
Reply #7 - 01/06/10  4:07pm
" I too have been having a lot of pain on my lower back/butt on the right side. If I sit too long on a seat that is not cushioned enough, the numbness can go down to my knee. "
Reply #8 - 06/06/10  4:49pm
" I too have this same pain. I have anklosing Spodilitis. AS for short. I have a very painful neck and all the way down. But now my ankles are swelling and hands and knees are in pain. i am getting ready to start methotrexate. try getting a blood test for hbl 27 I think thats what its called it is the marker for my desease. Good luck. "
Reply #9 - 06/08/10  3:43pm
" When my back issues first started, I developed pain like you're describing. I mentioned it to my physical therapist who told me there are muscles and tendons across those "sits" bones that can get inflamed. (Would that be tendonitis of the bum?) She said it is caused by the tendons and muscles getting irritated and the irritation causes inflammation and pain. Apparently the fix is to "desensitize" the tendons and muscles by doing a deep massage there, literally scraping the tendon or muscle across the bone. The deep massage is very painful, apparently, but helps in the long run. It didn't make much sense to me, but she swore that's what it would take. "
Reply #10 - 06/20/10  1:45am
" l landed on my tailbone getting air on a too small quad. l dont understand the physics but the force went all the way up & fractured my neck bone.. l dint know about the fracture for awhile & eventually had emergency surgery. But l had to sit higher than my legs to take some of the pressure off butt & it helped (still lots of pain but bearable)
God Bless "