Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Swimming
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am not sure if this has to do with my Chiari or not so I figured I would ask if it has ever happened to anyone else.
I LOVE swimming. But I can not go under water because if I do my ears pop and then hurt afterwards. It feels like there is so much pressure in my head and something needs to come out. I have noticed that this always happens before I knew I had Chiari. But now that I know about the Chiari, I just wonder if this is why I do this.
Posted on 08/05/08, 12:38 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Arnold-Chiari Malformation. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/06/08  1:49pm
" II would venture to guess not related to chiari. I will say that I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years and never had this problem. Tinnitus is a sign of chiari esp. if it worsens quickly over a short time, but I have not heard of this before. It is likely more related to the shape of your ear canal. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/06/08  3:16pm
" Well i also have had alot of propblems with swimming something i also use to do in my hight shcool teen. Now i can not go under water and when i do i also get alot of presure and alot of times i get pain. I also can not swim for more them 20 minutes or i get a realy bad headache and fell sick and i get alot of pain. I also feel like i have water in my ears for 3 or 4 days after i swim. Well i hope this helps you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/08/08  1:24am
" Changes in atmospheric pressure will affect your chiari symptoms. I have trouble riding in a car. Especially if I am riding through the mountains. Just as your ears will build up pressure and need to pop, so it is with your ability to balance spinal fluid pressure.

Some people do not have this problem. Perhaps it just depends on the amount of restriction of your spinal fluid flow between your brain and spinal column. At least that is how my neurosurgeons described the problem to me. They just do not really know for sure.

I wonder, were you ever before prone to getting "swimmers ear"? If so, then it could be just the way your ear canals are formed. There are ways to deal with that problem.

If an activity bothers you then try to avoid it. I used to swim like a fish. I do not go in the water anymore. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/10/08  8:01pm
" Thank you for the advise. It actualy just started happening this year funny. It was after i got diagnosed with the CHiari. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/22/08  9:53am
" Brooke-One of the things that helped make my mind up to finally do my son mri was when this summer we we're swimming and he jumped off the diving board as soon as he came up out of water he started grabbing his head and crying the first thing i thought off was something with the pressure caused this and i knew what happend was'nt normal so i think pressure can cause a headache that happing to him was my signal to finnaly do an mri and what do ya know he was diagnosed with chiari-just my opinion! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/01/08  6:57pm
" i cannot go under water anymore either. it started about 3 years ago. and i have been an avid swimmer since i was 5. it is wierd, and very annoying cuz i love to dive!! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web