Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
ringing in the ears!
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
i have always wondered why my ears would be "ringing" or become "deaf" whenever i am in a situation that makes me anxious. now that i'm fully aware of my condition, i can face them. but when you're going through that anxiety and experiencing those weird things, it's still scary.

i was just wondering if any of you experience that too and if so, what do you do?
Posted on 08/27/08, 10:46 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/27/08  10:54pm
" You could have tinnitus and it becomes aggrevated when you are experiencing stress.

Tinnitus is the term used for noises or sounds which are heard in one or both ears or in the head which do not come from an external source. They are often described as a high-pitched ringing but can also be described as a buzzing, hissing, pulsing, whistling, roaring, or various other sounds. Tinnitus can be very mild in loudness and only noticeable in a quiet room/bedtime or it can become extremely loud and annoying to the point where the sufferer hears nothing else. It can be present all of the time, can be intermittent, and/or pulsing.

The loudness of the tinnitus often times varies in intensity depending on several factors such as stress, diet, noise exposure, etc. Tinnitus, like chronic pain, is subjective. Two people may report similar characteristics yet be affected in a significantly different manner. The severity of the tinnitus is largely a function of the individual reaction to/or perception of, the tinnitus. Many tinnitus sufferers have difficulty sleeping and/or concentrating, and many are depressed.

With tinnitus, the body often reacts as if it is being threatened. When the tinnitus is constant and prolonged, the physical responses such as anxiety, depression and insomnia can aggravate the tinnitus. Prolonged stress will make the tinnitus noises much louder than they would be in a relaxed state. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/27/08  11:18pm
" I have gotten this. It gets to the point I can't hear myself think sometimes, but it is usually when I'm in an position that terrifies me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/28/08  12:32am
" I get ringing in the ears, and i'd agree with XceteraX and that information.
Personally I found that I was low in potassium which can sometimes cause tinnitus - bananas are a great source of it and have helped me.

Potassium cations (positively charged atoms) are important in neuron (brain and nerve) function - wiki

Researching is always a great way to understand more =) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/28/08  2:45am
" I have experienced this as well. It is seriously disconcerting. I always wondered if there were some physical illness underlying the tinnitus. When I was under the worst duress of my high point of anxiety, when i would get up too fast I would get a head rush, followed by either tinnitus or a visual migraine or both. After a battery of tests (e.g. MRI, EEG, variious neurological and ENT exams) there was no physical evidence of problems in my case. There are two schools of thought on the cause of this, not mutually exclusive to one another. One is adrenal fatigue (the favorite of alternative medical practitioners, I've found). With sufficient adrenaline flow and synmpathetic nervous stimulation, the tinnitus will escalate (possibly) to a more prominent and pervasive buzzing, or ringing. I found little help from treating this purely from a nutritional approach (e.g. bovine adrenal capsules) to "rebuild" the adrenal glands. The second school of thought is the "muscle tension" approach. If you store the tension of your body in locales like the neck, it compresses all the vessels, connective tissues, etc., of the neck, thereby reducing bloodflow to the brain (which I surmise affects the function of the center for hearing and/or seeing in the brain). It's possible that compression of nerves in the neck and back of the head can account for these symptoms as well. Bicyclists can get visual and auditory disturbances like these. For me, discovering these very normal effects of the onslaught of anxiety on my body gave me hope that these bizarre effects would lessen and disappear with using varied approaches to reducing the anxiety (not the superficial symptoms). This is where cognitive behavioral counseling, support groups (Celebrate Recovery is a catch-all group that I've found very effective), etc. are vital. As you learn to use things like positive self-talk, nutritional remedies (e.g. L-Theanine, L-Tryptophan), prescription meds, exercise, and the myriad other approaches out there (you will find an effective combination for you), you will see the physical symptoms reduce in frequency and severity. BTW, in my case, weightlifting for exercise was an unwise decision because I found that it caused increased muscle tension and adrenal fatigue. Hang in there, and above all ... pray! There is someone out there who loves you and knows you better than you! I'll keep you in my prayers, too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/28/08  6:20pm
" I've got tinnitus and so there is always buzzing or ringing in my ears. I've just learned to ignore it. I've had all sorts of tests done. Tinnitus is second only to headaches in "afflictions" that affect the population. I suspect that you are just more aware of it during periods of high anxiety. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/30/08  12:07pm
" Hi Tranquility, I had this ringing in the ears problem twice. Both times I was taking an SSRI medication. The last time it happened I asked my doctor about it and she reduced the dosage. This seemed to get rid of it for the most part. Although, it does seem to be linked to stress somehow. I notice it more when I'm under a lot of pressure. Mine is almost more of a howling or roaring sound, not really a ringing per se. The doctors call it tinitus. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/30/08  12:21pm
" My right ear rings often, whether I'm anxious or not. It feels like my ear pops and then there's a high pitched ring that will last at the most 5 min, and sometimes I can't hear. Seems to happen more frequently when I'm stressed. I just ignore it as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/30/08  7:26pm
" I believe it's just another one of those anxiety symptoms. I get it when I'm stressed out. I realize it's nothing to be afraid of. It's more like nature's way of covering our ears while saying,"la la la la" when life gets downright nasty! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/30/08  7:32pm
" thank you, everyone, for your reply.

i had a conference call and i had to explain to the client what my design entailed. as soon as i started talking, i felt my ears go deaf and then it would ring. i make fun of the situation even though i know it's a scary thing. but now that i am fully aware of what anxiety does, i am much more determined to do better!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/20/12  9:14pm
" I just experienced it. Ugh. I've been having muscle spasms/twitching all week, tension headaches, and a bit of indigestion. BP has been okay with my pulse levels, so I consider that a plus. I just got over bronchitis and went to the doc a couple weeks ago. He was concerned with my pressure since it was 188/111...but I have white coat and the cuff kept making me nervous since it was inflated 4 times before the read-out since the nurse taking it didn't know how to place a cuff properly - I was extra anxious. I'm maintaining. Had this disorder of panic for a little over 3 years now. The symptoms are so varied it gets downright exhausting and depressing and makes me a bit paranoid - the whole health anxiety bit. I find solace in prayer, talking to friends, hugs, and breathing exercises - not to mention my meds! Xanax, Lisinopril, Verapamil, Oxcarbazepine, and Atenolol. I have inappropriate sinus tach and hypertension too...So, it's not a cakewalk. I've experienced the tinnitus before, it's just I've been under a bit more pressure lately and I think that's why, despite the meds, my condition or symptoms have been making themselves known. I hate it with a bloody passion, but I endure because I am strong and a lot of people have it much worse...life. You know?

I've got too much to live for. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web