Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
vitamin b12 for anxiety
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I just wanted to share some experiences I have with vitamin B12 and Vitamin B complex. I have had anxiety and depression for five years. I am on prozac,trazadone and klonopin. The week or so my anxiety has started to become more often than ususal. I started taking vitamin b complex but also found the vitamin b12 500mg that melts in your mouth. I can tell you that it really really works. I feel so much better after taking it.It works as fast as getting the shot. The B12 has also helped my depression as well. Good luck to all!!
Posted on 11/09/06, 07:29 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/09/06  9:25pm
" What is the safe dosage for B12?
NTP "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/10/06  1:33pm
" My doctor recommened 500mg twice a day. Vitamin Bs are water soluable so you would need to replenish them everyday especially if you have anxiety,depression and extreme stress. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/30/08  11:42am
" Hi, thanks for the information and I just might try that. I suffer with anxiety since childhood and I need something since I am not on any meds at the moment that are helping. Just to make sure, you take the vitamin b complex and the vitamin b12 together right? Thanks again! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/30/08  12:31pm
" Vitamin B is great. I do take an antidepressent, but suppliment with a B. The cocktail of the two works better than just one of either alone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/30/08  4:22pm
" Thank you! I'll give it a try. I was also told to have less sugar (boo!), lots of water and lots of protein...I guess that its time to go to the market! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/30/08  6:08pm
" Thank you for sharing. I will try the Vitamins b & b12. I have suffered with anxiety for several years and currently went off my medication because my husband & are trying to have a baby. I sure hope this will help out. Thanks again :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/26/11  11:30pm
" Thanks so much for this! I've always had issues with mild anxiety, but since starting a new form of Birth Control my anxiety has skyrocketed. Today I spoke with my doctor, and she informed me that often times increased anxiety can occur since Birth Control may deplete the normal amount of B-12, and suggested that I try it. I found this when researching, and I'm so glad to hear it works :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/26/11  11:53pm
" thank you. I will give this a try. we are dealing with the same thing and on really the same meds. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/27/11  2:49am
" Vitamin B12 is very good, and it's good you are taking a B complex as well, as they should all be present to work efficiently. Anxiety and stress deplete reserves of water soluble vitamins like B and C, and need to be replenished, more importantly if you're not following a good nutrition regimen. B12 is important for good CNS function, energy production and fatty acid synthesis. It is used to treat anxiety where a deficiency is suspected, as the symptoms of deficiency can trigger anxiety. Another great 'B' for anxiety is vitamin B3(niacin). It works extremely well in treating anxiety. It should be used in the niacinamide form or Inositol form, not the nicotinic acid form. Nicotinic acid B3 is for treating high cholesterol and will cause facial flushing and sometimes warmth and itching. These are harmless and subside, but for someone with anxiety, it may trigger a panic attack. Niacinamide and Inositol are flush free. Niacinamide is the form usually found in B complex and multi-vitamin supplements. B12 supplementation is measured in mcg(micrograms) not mg(milligrams). Large doses can be taken without relative harm, but where pernicious anemia, or a deficiency is suspected, therapeutic doses are started at 2000 mcg/day for up to two weeks then a maintenance dose 1000 mcg/day indefinitely. Anxiety responds well at 500 to 1000 mcg per day. Have blood work done to measure homocysteine levels. Now, with all things, this treatment may not be right for everyone, so check with your doctor before beginning a mega dose regimen of B12. High doses of B12 raises homocysteine levels. Continually elevated homocysteine levels can increase the risk of a cardiac event. A high quality B 50 or B 100 complex is very safe and can be taken daily. If you have digestive disorders, Crohn's, instestinal disorders or take antacids(Tums, Rol-Aids) or proton pump inhibitors(Nexium, Prevacid), this can cause malabsorption problems, so once again, check with your doctor. It's great you found something that works well for you in helping control your anxiety and depression. Kudos! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/27/11  5:12am
" I take a B Complex pill that really does help with my anxiety. I am not 100% anxiety free, but it has calmed me down by at least 20%. I started taking them after having a major anxiety attack and I do notice a difference. I read that Vitamin B6 was also good for anxiety as well so I may begin to take a little extra B6. Magnesium is also good for anxiety. I haven't tried that yet, but a few people that I know have and they say it is good. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web