Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
anxiety in church
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
i definitely have anxiety when it comes to going to church. i have been going to church my whole life but still being in a big church is just too much for me. i can't be myself at all. i feel like crying but am too afraid and i don't know what i'm afraid of. i feel like everything being said applies to me and everyone knows even tho no one at the church knows me. everyone in the church stands and gets excited and praises but i'm the only one sitting becuase i am concerned about something that no one else notices but i think everyone notices and also i'm just not used to acting that way, especially in front of people. when i do stand up i notice that my armpits start getting a little sweaty but that may be due to the church being hot. even when church is over i just want to get out of there instead of talking with everyone and meeting new people. is this normal anxiety and the church i attend is just too crunk for me or is it just me? i just feel so strange being the only person sitting when everyone else is jumping up and down and praising but at the same time i feel more comfortable sitting in that moment. i think i need to find a smaller church.
Posted on 03/07/08, 01:05 am
29 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/07/08  1:22am
" Hi, I too have anxiety in church. Mine church is a little calmer than yours. My therapist said church is one of the most common places for people to have panic and anxiety. I think everyone should be able to worship in there own way. even if you are not as active as some. Don't worry about it. Most people don't notice anyone but themselves. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/07/08  1:38am
" yes I get aniety too...I dont go to church anymore...I feel i dont fit in with the people... hope to find one some day I feel comfortabe being a part of. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/07/08  1:42am
" thats good to know that church is a common place to get anxiety and i'm not just a very bad person cuz i don't praise god like everyone else. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/07/08  3:03am
" I also go to a charasmatic church and i feel the same, i too choose not to worship in that way, i just feel closer to God when im quiet and still, everyones different i guess, and i know God doesnt care how we praise him as long as we do :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/07/08  5:56am
" hiya im the same in church only started going again last sunday after being away since xmas if it was not for my wee lad and letting him done i would not go ,if you really want to go back to church go a bit earlier and nab the back seat in church then youve nobody sitting behind you thats what i do .

sally "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/07/08  10:08am
" It might just be the large crowds that make you anxious. Are you the same in busy shops, malls and public places.

I'm an athiest / humanist so obviously don't go to church. If there is a god, surely he is not so vain as to demand being worshipped. Is it not enough to just be a good human being without going to church, thus eliminating the problem with church.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/07/08  12:30pm
" I have had some of my worst anxiety attacks at church. My therapist says that it probably has to do with the big group of people. I'm thinking that she's right plus I think that I'm overly self-conscious and worry about stupid things. As someone said earlier, everyone worships in their own way and we have to remember that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/07/08  12:37pm
" My problem with anxiety in church is actually because I feel trapped for the hour I'm there. I keep thinking what if I panic?? I can't leave church early. What will people think?? When I do go. I sit in the back or near an exit at least. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/07/08  3:22pm
" Thank you for sharing. I thought I was the only one that has this problem. I also attend a Charasmatic Church. But I am not the type of person that wants to be noticed either so I sit in the back and feel as if I get too anxious I can get up and leave "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/08/08  7:50am
" Boy, I am so glad you wrote this. I , too have snxiety in church. But because of my position I have to attend. Sometimes I don't even know what's going on in church because of the way I am feeling. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web