Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
who overreacts?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
so today i made it a great day..i came on here and journaled my feeling about my past since i know i need to do that to work on my anxiety , spent 20 minutes writing and went to save and it sent me to some website and i lost everything i wrote. i was so flippen mad i found myself so angry i wanted to cry..

but now that im writing again to you i find how silly it was for me to get so mad over something i could fix by coming back another day and rewriting it again..one of my problems is i tend to over react to quickly..which im trying to control but not so easy//

i would love to hear how people find ways to remain calm when something goes wrong in a split second. even if its something so little..

i know we are human with feeling so of course we are entitled to get angry
Posted on 10/15/13, 11:00 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/16/13  9:16am
" Ironically this situation just happened to me also.

My mother passed away 3 months ago. In her last week I understandably was having a tough time and sleep was allusive. During one particularly sleepless night I stayed up watching TV wishing my eyes would close....to no avail. Then on came this Harvard researcher talking about happiness. I could not help but notice the simalarities about his talk and my mom. I began to write and found myself looking back on how wonderful life with my mom had been....even though I was in the midst of handling the very end of her life. When she passed away a day later, I remembered the things that I wrote about her that night and felt that these words would be a wonderful eulogy. So I picked up my ipad and proceeded to print it out only to see it completely disappear before my eyes.

OK...In this situation crying would have been very much allowed but there is more to the story. My mother had always told my sisters and I that she never wanted a eulogy at her funeral....she thought is was to sad for the people attending. I started to laugh....her was my little smiling handicapped mom who in life could not even turn on a computer but from where ever she now she could delete a file..haha. At least that is what I have told myself.

Well I ended up rewriting it and did not give it as a Eulogy tohonor my mothers wishes, but I gave it after the service as a honor to her kind nature and spirit. Friends and relative are still asking me for a copy because of the impact she had on all that knew her.

In life...everything happens for a reason. It is what we do from there that impacts our life.

In this particular case this whole situation put smiles on my families face during a time smiling was so hard....to me that was a positive impact.

Sorry you lost your writing but hopefully you will soon see some reason that has yet to be uncovered.

Best to you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/16/13  9:53am
" I have worked very hard on calming myself so I do not overreact to things that I consider to be minor. It took some time to accomplish but I did it. I started just like you are now - realizing after the fact that it wasn't a big deal. Slowly the "it's not a big deal" reaction came sooner and sooner. That is not to say that I don't still get angry when the system erases everything I just typed - because it has on many occassions. I do get angry about it and have learned, with DS, I am better off typing out my info in a word document and then doing a copy and paste into DS. So, I found a workaround that works for me.

Keep being conscious of what makes you overreact and adjust your thinking about it.

Take care "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/16/13  10:15am
" THANKS GUYS. YOU ARE BOTH SO SWEET..
HAVE A GREAT DAY

SORRY IM IN CAPS..IM AT WORK TRYING TO SNEAK IN HERE BEFORE I GET CAUGHT..LOL
XO "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/16/13  11:45am
" I find that when I am stressed out I am always on edge. I can go from happy to seriously pissed off in a second when I am under stress. I just try to stay calm but I have a temper and it is hard. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/16/13  12:14pm
" When I'm about to overreact first I take a few deep breathes and assess the situation...if it involves someone else working my nerves or being rude to me I try to respond in a calm manner to them because I know that an angry response will make the situation worse. When we overreact and respond in an angry manner it makes things worse like roadrage...an angry response might just cause an accident. I've come to the conclusion that some people just aren't worth responding to...they do things just to get a response out of you even if it means an angry response. So if at all possible take a deep breath and just look the other way. If its someone you don't have to live with SMILE. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/16/13  12:17pm
" I know very much how you feel. I find that when something goes wrong, or if I'm worrying about something, I find myself very much on edge. I very much wish I could stamp my forehead with the saying "Handle With Care," so that nobody does a thing to set me off.

I especially have this problem when a boyfriend says something I don't care for (which is often). It will piss me off and sometimes start a fight.

These days, I try to acknowledge the moment I start to get all worked uo, let myself know that things happen and this is life, it's not the worse thing that can happen, don't take it so personally, and I can start to move on in a calm manner. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/16/13  4:33pm
" I completely understand this. I tend to be really tightly wound and kind of need for things around me to be structure, as irrational as that idea is. Some I can understand that rapid fire mood change when unexpected things happen. I acknowledge that I'm angry and that there is a completely valid reason for it. Then I try to get away from whatever upset me even if it's just for a few minutes and breathe. In that time I try to think about how serious the situation really is because when we're in the moment, that issue seems so big. But when I give myself time to really reflect on what I was angry about, I can usually see how serious the situation is and try to think of ways I can resolve it. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web