Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
weird: sore tongue?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have a strange new feeling that I am hoping is just anxiety related and I am very anxious about it. Lately I have noticed that my tongue feels sore like I've been whistling for 24 hours straight or something. It's not red or swollen or anything it feels like I have a sore muscle... like when your shoulders feel tense from stress? Anyone get that? Anyways... now that I have felt it and it has made me nervous I can't stop thinking about it and I think I'm actually making it worse. At work I found myself tensing my tongue in my mouth while I was feeling anxious... sounds weird I know. I'm trying to quit smoking and not doing very well at the moment with it but I'm waiting for *my moment*. I have totally convinced myself that I pushed the smoking too far and now I have tongue cancer or something.
*sigh* my question is simply has anyone else out there gotten a sore tongue from anxiety from tensing it in your mouth while you are anxious? I noticed this feeling about 4 days ago and I can't get rid of it. I'm doing all I can to calm myself down and forget about it until it goes away but my anxiety instinct is telling me to rush to the dr. to find out what is wrong with me which is what I don't want to do if it is just anxiety related.
Posted on 10/29/07, 08:56 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/29/07  9:09pm
" well, i used to tense up my mouth a lot and my jaw...so i used to have a lot of jaw pain and yes, my mouth and tongue would be sore...i didn't realize i was doing it until i had intense pain..so when i caught myself doing it i would concentrate on relaxing those muscles...i broke myself from the habit..i don't even do it in my sleep anymore...:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/29/07  11:12pm
" Hi Lilpeep,
I haven't gotten sore in the tongue, but I do clench my mouth at night when I sleep, if I'm stressed or worried about things. But listen, if you're a smoker, you might be rolling your tongue like a taco, to smoke your cigarrette, so that may be the culprit. But also, your tongue is a muscle, and it may also be from talking alot. Make an appt with your doctor to rule out cancer...and try not to stress over it. I think you're working yourself up, and you haven't given yourself the chance to see a doctor.Take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/29/07  11:50pm
" i have had a sore tongue for about three months now, i noticed that the tip of my toungue is much pinker than the rest. when i use mouthwash it really stung the tip of my tongue severely so i only use mouthwash now about once or twice a week instead of everyday and my tongue is only slightly sore now, but it shouldn't be sore at all..right? i don't think i tense it at all. was just at the doc but forgot to mention it. if you find out what it is,please message me!! thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/30/07  8:12am
" thanks guys... I'm starting to get a cough too... I dunno but my son has a dr.'s appointment today which is convenient cause then while I'm there I'll just mention it to my dr. and let ya all know... it must be anxiety cause right when I woke up I didn't feel it but then after I thought about NOT feeling it it started to feel sore again... sheesh. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/30/07  9:34am
" yes this is definately part of anxiety, i get this alot.
I hold my mouth and tounge very tensly when my anxiety is bad, i dont realise im doing it half the time.
When i realise im doing it know i make my tounge go floppy which helps.
God Luck!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/30/07  9:34am
" yes this is definately part of anxiety, i get this alot.
I hold my mouth and tounge very tensly when my anxiety is bad, i dont realise im doing it half the time.
When i realise im doing it know i make my tounge go floppy which helps.
God Luck!! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web