Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Vitamin D deficiency
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
So I got my lab results back from my annual physical and everything was normal/ However, my vitamin D level was on the low side so they want to start me on a supplement. Of course being the anxious person that I am i am afraid of taking this vitamin due to toxicity but I will take what the doctor orders I guess. She said I can take a 800 IU daily or 50,000 units weekly..I have no idea which one to choose. Anyway my questions are: Can a vitamin d deficiency cause or contribute to my symptoms fatigue, depression, anxiety, and obsessive thoughts? If so, can taking this supplement help or has it helped any of you?
Posted on 02/03/11, 07:05 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/03/11  7:24pm
" This is so interesting! I recently switched to a new doctor, and she had my D levels checked because she said it is the new "buzzword" in the medical world! The doctor said that pretty much everyone has low Vitamin D, most likely because of the ozone, lack of being outside, food choices, etc. She said that right now everyone equates a vitamin D deficiency with EVERYTHING. In other words....it's showing up everywhere, regardless of health. She told me that it has nothing to do with depression, anxiety, or obsessive thoughts, but since I was new, she was going to check D with all the rest of my bloodwork. Intersting, huh? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/03/11  11:03pm
" I have never heard vitamin D being connected to anxiety. It helps your body absorb calcium if I remember worrectly. Now, I know being deficient in vitamin B can make your anxiety worse...... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/03/11  11:28pm
" Absolutely your nutritional deficiencies can cause anxiety. My mother has major GI issues that directly caused her anxiety and depression. By the time I got her to the ER she was dehydrated and was diagnosed with major digestive issues. The standard blood work does not show all the nutritional deficiencies, but I can promise you my mother was not absorbing regular foods due to these major GI issues. She is doing better now on nutritional shakes until we can get her healed. The bloodwork definitely showed B12 deficiency and other deficiency though. Most of the time the doctors do little about these nutritional deficiences except to give you a pyramid food chart. That's it. It's not enough. Supplements through shakes are excellent ways to make sure you are absorbing what you may not be able to through regular food or vitamins. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/03/11  11:41pm
" Just a thought: it's not a very sunny and warm time of year depending on where you live. So, if you're not getting much sun your body isn't synthasizing its own vitamin D; therefore, you may develop a vitamin D deficiency if you're not replaced in your diet or by a supplement. Even once you start taking the supplement, you still might not be getting enough sun and could have seasonal affect disorder which makes people feel fatigued and depressed. Some physicians and psychiatrists believe that depression is the underlying cause of anxiety. Therefore, if your depression is worse because you have seasonal affect disorder, then it stands to reason that your anxiety will be worse. Since obsessive thoughts are linked to anxiety, that could l lead to more obsessive thoughts. It's just a thought.

Follow your doctors recommendations in regards to vitamin d dosage. It's very unlikely that you'll build up toxic levels by following your doctor's instructions or the instructions on the bottle. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/04/11  12:04am
" Yes i think it can.. Two family members of mine -one who suffers from anxiety and the other anxiety & depression- both were found to have severe vitamin D deficiency. My mother was told by her medication nurse that this does cause depression and anxiety & placed her on a supplement, i believe she actually has to get her vitamins through the pharmacy by prescription. As far as studies on this i havent personally seen any, but i hope this helps. I would follow your doctors advice and if you have any concerns with the treatment give them a call so they can answer any questions! Anxiety is so horrible and uncomfortable, so if theres a natural treatment that will help you it def sounds like a plus! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/04/11  3:31pm
" I didn't read all of the posts, but I am answering the original. I also had my vit D checked and it was extremely low. My doctor wanted me to take 2000 IUD. I took like 1800..or something. But stopped. Anyway, vitamin D can play a role in being so tired, etc.
When my Vit D deficiency was discovered, so was my underactive thyroid. They all play a role together. I know you are scared. In fact, when I was reading your post..I had to read the name of the person who read it..cause I thought it was something that I had written. But it's okay. Did you get your thyroid checked as well? TSH, T4 and T3. The strangest thing..one time mine was bad..than it was okay on meds..than it was fine (and I wasn't taking meds)????? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/04/11  7:57pm
" Postscript to my note prior... my mother drank her nutritional shake and it calmed her almost immediately. With her nutritional deficiencies and inability to absorb nutrients due to her GI/digestive issues, anxiety reaches an all time high. Thank God there are answers for when our bodies nutrition is out of balance. We can be anxious for many different reasons: external emotional issues and internal physical nutritional deficiencies and imbalances. Sometimes it just takes time finding why. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/04/11  10:07pm
" I will say that when I get out and exercise in sunny South Florida, I always feel warm and wonderful! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/05/11  10:50am
" Are you sure those units are correct? 800 a day is 5600 a week. Doing 50000 a week seems odd if 800 a day would work. I'd double check with the doc. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/05/11  12:30pm
" I take vitamin D because mine is low also but I don't think it has any effect on anxiety--although it is "Popular" right now and is being touted as a cure for a lot of things. It can't hurt you as long as you don't overdo it. I take 1000IU a day but my doctor said I could double that. (I didn't) Good luck. --Gemstone "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web