Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
How long does xanax xr last?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I took it this morning and it only lasted about 6 1/2 hours is that normal? I thought it would last all day long but I guess six to 7 hours is better than taking regular xanax every 3 hours. I am gonna have to go take a .25 xanax cause the lightheadedness is back and i feel off balance and anxious so I know it has wore off. I am suppose to take a dose tonight at bed time. Just wondering if this is normal to for 1mg of xanax xr to last around 6 hours?
Posted on 05/08/09, 05:16 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/15/09  12:55am
" THAT IS A LONG TIME FOR AN ANXIETY PILL. MY ATIVAN SEEMED TO ONLY LAST ABOUT 3 HOURS. THEY USUALLY SAY TO TAKE THEM 3 TIMES A DAY AND DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE ANXIETY IS SO BAD THAT YOU CAN'T GET IT UNDER CONROL. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/19/09  9:14pm
" I was under the impression it's time-releasedso it's supposed to lastall day. Are you taking any SSRI? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/01/09  10:19am
" Xanax is the quickest acting benzo there is. The fact that they have it as a xr is a huge jump from the non-xr pill. But please be careful! I feel like I have to warn people about xanax because I believe I was wrongfully prescribed it. I was a college student...extremely stressed out and having panic attacks all the time when I was prescribed 1.5-2 mg daily. The first 3 weeks I thought it was miracle drug, but then I lost hold of all ability to cope with my feelings. I built up a tolerance and when I wouldn't take it my anxiety was so bad I felt like dying. No one warned me of the dangers. It is typically suppose to be used only for about 3 weeks in very traumatic circumstances. ( A death in the family)

Please be careful...it took me over 5 months to ween myself off of it...and my Dr. put me on an anti-depressant to help with the withdrawals...which presently I'm dealing with coming off of. It's a nightmare. I still feel like I'll never be the same.

I don't mean to scare you...but do your research. Especially if you're a young girl. I'm not against medications, but I do think Doc. tend to jump the gun when it comes to writing a scrip. There's no..."lets work on natural healing methods...such as yoga for a couple of months," but rather "here take these pills...but make sure you take care of your body." It seems strange to me. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web