Alcohol and Diazepam
Hi everyone,

I havent been on here in ages, but things have slipped back to their old ways as usual and i have been given diazepam (2mg) to help with my panic attacks and extreme anxiety. I have only been taking 2mg a day, which seems to be helping so much so far. It is advised that you dont drink alcohol whilst taking Diazepam, but i just wondered what the effects of a glass of wine would be? Has anyone ever had alcohol with this doseage of Diazepam before?

C x
Posted on 03/10/09, 03:09 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 03/10/09  4:38pm
" I am on clonezepam..same med componenets basicly. I have to be frank tho.. Do not drink with your anxiety medicine. Alcohol gives you anxiety and is a depressant. you could end up in not a very good position. Meaning..If you start thinking you can drink with it...It could become unconsiously habit forming. Try to be around folks that do not drink. Is it hard? Heck yea. But i choose not to be around those that use alcohol. If i am it is for a short visit. Plenty of things to have fun doing without the wine. :)

Be well
Snooze "
Reply #2 - 03/10/09  5:07pm
" Hi, I was on on 2mg 3 x daily and i went on holiday and drank a small amount daily, I dont drink anyway really so if it was going to affect me then that would have been the time. I ws fine on about 2 drinks. vonny x "
Reply #3 - 03/10/09  6:53pm
" 7/21/07. That's the day my very best friend in the world passed away at the age of 43 after mixing diazepam and alcohol. He only had 2 drinks and a low dose of diazepam. There are WARNINGS all over the bottle not to mix the two and he didn't listen. He had a heart attack and died. Warnings are there for a reason, not to mention, alcohol intensifies depression - so why drink? "
Reply #4 - 03/10/09  8:42pm
" I had a seizure! First and only time in my life. I forget the dosage I was taking, but I had ONE drink and had a seizure in the car ( husband was driving and took me straight to the emergency room).

We all react differently to different dosages, but my system obviously has NO tolerance.

I'd be very careful and NEVER drive. "
Reply #5 - 03/11/09  4:15am
" whoops i dont even think i will ever have a alcoholic drink again if i have a diazapam, The other answers have scared the sh*t out of me. vonny x "
Reply #6 - 03/20/09  11:51am
" I am on Diazepam and I had wine when my father died - I have never been so sick in my life !!! Be careful and as always - ask your doctor !!! "
Reply #7 - 09/03/09  8:56pm
" Hi,

I would advise not to drink alcohol with diazepam, the reason for this is because diazepam is an anti-anxiety medication which is apart of the benzodiazepine family as you might know. Diazepam acts by enhancing the effects of GABA in the brain, and is also a muscle relaxant. When mixing with alcohol they effect each other by enhancing the effects of one another with can prove to be fatal even in small doses.

Its also best to safe than sorry. To find out more information ask a Pharmacist for advice or try and get you hands on a MIMS book with will give you advice about the side effects and precautions you should take when mixing drugs together.

Hope this helps

Rowie "
Reply #8 - 09/03/09  9:25pm
" well obviously I am the bad influence here. I'm on 2 mg clonazapam (much larger dose benzo than you)and drink regularly.

I've even had 6 shots of hard liquor immediately after taking my klonopin.

I just felt a little extra hung over and anxious the next few days.

My phsychiatrist seems to think drinking with benzos os fine in small doses. He said that I should not have more than a couple drinks of alchohol per day because it acts similarly on the brain as the benzos. And, of course it makes virtually any mental problem worse.

So a glass of wine and 2mg of valium would be to bad IMO. especially compared to were I have been. *Ahem* 2 mg Clonazapam (20 mg diazam) and 6 shots hard liquor (2-3 bottles of wine)

Good luck "
Reply #9 - 09/03/09  9:26pm
" *would'nt "
Reply #10 - 09/04/09  12:12pm
" Drinking on any medication for mental health reasons is dangerous, and it even says that on the bottle when you look at it.

My cousin was on this, and now has been in a coma for over 25 years, she was 23 years old at the time.

Even when you take antibiotics and drink, well whatt happens is the booze stops the meds from fighting whatever infection you were put on it for.

I am glad that you decided to not chance it!!
I can't believe that any doctor would tell a patient that it's ok to drink while on antidepressants, as that is just as dangerous.

Love,