Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Tapering off Ativan/Lorazepam
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone have some positive experiences or some hope about coming off Ativan. How slowly did you do it? What did you experience? I'm cutting down from .05mg 6x a day to 5x a day. Do you think that's too much of a jump? Is the anxiety I'm feeling actual withdrawal or just me thinking I'm going to experience withdrawal, so maybe a self-fulfilling prophecy?
I desperately want to get off of it cuz it's screwing up my sleep, but I'm terrified of the withdrawal. Please, please tell me how to do this in the least uncomfortable way possible.

Sincerely,
PixieGirl
Posted on 01/11/08, 04:34 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/11/08  4:43pm
" who wants to come off?! i love the stuff it eases the pain of anxiety i am on dialysis without it i couldn't sit in the chair mcate "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/11/08  5:31pm
" Hey Pix,

I am in the process of that right now. I didn't take as much as you but I have been taking it as needed for about 7 years. I go through "bouts" that can last 3 to 6 months at a time. The bout I just had lasted about 6 months. I think I was taking .5 a day...I am a real lightweight and meds affect me more than normal. I took reduced it to 1/4 a day then 1/4 every other day, then every 2 days, then every 3 days, etc. Each time I reduced I took the reduced dose for a week or so. I am down to 1/4 every 4 days now. I could stop now but I get really freaked about this kind of stuff so I am delaying it more than I really needd to. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/19/08  11:51pm
" I am also on ativan, started out .5 3x day. Morning, late afternoon and before bed. When I got feeling better, I decided to skip the afternoon one(dr. said to take half if I wanted), didn't have any problems with that one, wasn't peaking in anxiety at that time. Mornings started being fine for me so I dropped that one too, again, no problems. IF you are ready to start coming off ativan, I suggest you talk to your Dr., I also suggest that you try to pick times when you know the anxiety is going to be a huge issue and try that, if you try and need to take one later, that should be fine. Talk to your DR. and make a plan. Good luck! "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web