How often can I take Klonopin...
...without getting addicted or building a tolerance to it? Right now I'm not letting myself take it more than once a week but it's really hard.
Posted on 12/30/07, 03:27 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/30/07  6:05am
" Hi TangerineDream-

When asking questions about changing medications, you should always go to the health professional who prescribed them. Medications and dosages are determined on a case by case basis probably on your own characteristics such as body size, severity of your anxiety, when the medication was first introduced, etc. Your doctor may need to add an additional medication that would be long acting such as Prozac or Zoloft. That's what happened with me. But I would definitely talk to your doctor, and tell him/her you are not doing very well. "
Reply #2 - 12/30/07  8:10am
" I use to take it every day.
I weaned myself off of it with no problems. "
Reply #3 - 12/30/07  8:12am
" Are you having trouble taking Klonopin less then once a week because you feel yourself becoming addicted or because you need help with anxiety more often?

I took Klonapin everyday for about 3 years and I never had to up my dose (I was taking a very low dose too). I recently heard another member here say something similar. After that, I took it as needed and eventually didn't need it at all.

Never had a problem coming off of it when I needed to but I know people who have had problems becoming addicted to this medication before. I agree with nutriedu that you should talk to your Dr. "
Reply #4 - 12/30/07  12:02pm
" I'm taking Wellbutrin too. I guess I don't actually need the Klonopin very often since I rarely have actual panic attacks anymore, but there are times when I have high anxiety, especially at night. I asked my doctor about this, but she just told me to take it "as needed." I'm the type to build tolerance pretty easily; I already had to up the dose from .5 to 1 mg (yes I talked to the Dr. first.)

I know some people have no problems with getting addicted to benzos, but I freak out about it and I want to minimize the risk. "
Reply #5 - 12/30/07  12:16pm
" You should take it as prescribed. I've been on the same dose for years, no problems. "
Reply #6 - 01/06/08  9:30am
" I have been on 4 mg klonopin for 5 years now every night. It helps my anxiety and my sleep. I have gone off before but do better when on it. "
Reply #7 - 01/12/08  1:45am
" Klonopin used to be a silver bullet for me. If things got really bad, I could take one and feel normal and happy for a while. Now as I build up a tolerance to it it's losing its effectiveness. I don't want to lose the only thing that really helps! "
Reply #8 - 01/14/08  3:41pm
" I take one mg a day. I take it at night to sleep. "
Reply #9 - 01/14/08  5:10pm
" Hi Tangerine,
That is a question best asked to your doctor because everyone is different. I have taken it every day for 3 months and weened my self back to nothing before without a problem. Currently I take .5mg around three days a week. "
Reply #10 - 01/14/08  5:30pm
" I'm on about .5 mg daily. I recently dropped from 2 mg a day and I also haven't noticed any addictive side effects. I also haven't noticed any loss in effectiveness indicating a tolerance. I swear by this stuff. "