Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
How often can I take Klonopin...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
...without getting addicted or building a tolerance to it? Right now I'm not letting myself take it more than once a week but it's really hard.
Posted on 12/30/07, 03:27 am
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/30/07  6:05am
" Hi TangerineDream-

When asking questions about changing medications, you should always go to the health professional who prescribed them. Medications and dosages are determined on a case by case basis probably on your own characteristics such as body size, severity of your anxiety, when the medication was first introduced, etc. Your doctor may need to add an additional medication that would be long acting such as Prozac or Zoloft. That's what happened with me. But I would definitely talk to your doctor, and tell him/her you are not doing very well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/30/07  8:10am
" I use to take it every day.
I weaned myself off of it with no problems. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/30/07  8:12am
" Are you having trouble taking Klonopin less then once a week because you feel yourself becoming addicted or because you need help with anxiety more often?

I took Klonapin everyday for about 3 years and I never had to up my dose (I was taking a very low dose too). I recently heard another member here say something similar. After that, I took it as needed and eventually didn't need it at all.

Never had a problem coming off of it when I needed to but I know people who have had problems becoming addicted to this medication before. I agree with nutriedu that you should talk to your Dr. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/30/07  12:02pm
" I'm taking Wellbutrin too. I guess I don't actually need the Klonopin very often since I rarely have actual panic attacks anymore, but there are times when I have high anxiety, especially at night. I asked my doctor about this, but she just told me to take it "as needed." I'm the type to build tolerance pretty easily; I already had to up the dose from .5 to 1 mg (yes I talked to the Dr. first.)

I know some people have no problems with getting addicted to benzos, but I freak out about it and I want to minimize the risk. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/30/07  12:16pm
" You should take it as prescribed. I've been on the same dose for years, no problems. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/06/08  9:30am
" I have been on 4 mg klonopin for 5 years now every night. It helps my anxiety and my sleep. I have gone off before but do better when on it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/12/08  1:45am
" Klonopin used to be a silver bullet for me. If things got really bad, I could take one and feel normal and happy for a while. Now as I build up a tolerance to it it's losing its effectiveness. I don't want to lose the only thing that really helps! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/14/08  3:41pm
" I take one mg a day. I take it at night to sleep. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/14/08  5:10pm
" Hi Tangerine,
That is a question best asked to your doctor because everyone is different. I have taken it every day for 3 months and weened my self back to nothing before without a problem. Currently I take .5mg around three days a week. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/14/08  5:30pm
" I'm on about .5 mg daily. I recently dropped from 2 mg a day and I also haven't noticed any addictive side effects. I also haven't noticed any loss in effectiveness indicating a tolerance. I swear by this stuff. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web