How many xanax should I take?
How many xanax should I take?

1. 1 mg prescribed.
2. 4 - 6 mg I have been taking.
3. 10 mg I feel like taking.
4. 100 mg I want to take.

Majority rules here. Voting ends at 10am. I'll post the results on my journal.
Posted on 11/09/07, 07:54 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 11/09/07  10:02am
" I don't know but with ativan it's 10 mg max a day. I usually take 4mg once a day "
Reply #2 - 11/09/07  10:20am
" i noticed your post about xanax...i hope you didn't take the whole bottle? i heard it's hard to die of an overdose of this stuff actually, although increasing your doses indefinitely could cause a lot of damage. i had a friend who had to be hospitalized for this and it was estimated that he could have died. anyway, xanax is the most helpful anxiety med i have ever used, i still use it currently. HOWEVER, i find that the more often i use it, the less effective it is. so i can't keep taking more and more when i want it because after awhile it just doens't do anything at all. maybe that's why you're wanting to take more than your prescription. i have to use it sparingly, i never take more than 1mg a day (i'm very sensitive to drugs). i try to take breaks from it whenever i can, and use it ONLY when i am having a full-blown anxiety attack. whatever you do, don't take it indiscriminately, and take care of yourself please. i have known lots of bipolars, and one skill which definitely keeps them alive is patience through periods of sadness. "
Reply #3 - 11/09/07  10:40am
" I also have Xanax to use when needed. My dr told me that up to 4 mg is safe and beyond that, its not reccommended. Please be careful. "
Reply #4 - 11/09/07  11:37am
" You're playing with fire and you will get burned. If you take greater than 4mg of xanax a day your body will become physically dependent on it not to mention psychologically. This drug is harder to withdraw from than heroin! Never increase your dose without consulting your doctor. There are other meds out there that may be a better fit for you. "
Reply #5 - 11/09/07  11:45am
" I didn't like the xanax myself I use the ativan as needed at 1 mg sublingual. When I do take it I only take the 1 and it seems to last me for longer than the doc says. Maybe change for something else if you need that much. "
Reply #6 - 11/09/07  6:23pm
" Taken long enough your body will develop an addiction to xanax regardless of the dose. I took .25 3x a day for years and my body was addicted quickly. I upped to .5 3x a day which is still only 1.5mg a day and my body became tolerant to it and I switched to klonopin. My doctor says patients he has that require daily benzos he changes every 6 months to a year so your body doesn't develop a tolerance for it. "
Reply #7 - 11/09/07  7:56pm
" I have Xanax prescribed... .25 mg three times a day.. but I don't take it on a regular basic... I take it only when needed. I have found nothing better for my anxiety than Xanan. It is a great drug.. but it is HIGHLY addictive and dangerous if abused. Withdrawal symtoms are horrible. Like all drugs, it is best used as prescribed. You should take what your Doctor prescribed you to take... or less. "
Reply #8 - 11/13/07  10:38am
" Hey there Lateralus,
I wish my doc would do what your doc does. I have always had this problem with xanax, and when I suggested alternating to klonopin, he refused. How do you find a doctor who will do this? Most psych's won't even prescribe benzos because of the perceived risk of addiction (I actually don't have addictive tendencies, but the doctors are still very cautious) "
Reply #9 - 11/13/07  12:11pm