Weird feeling in chest.
Could a strange feeling in my chest be a symptom of anxiety? its not pain or pressure, it's just a full feeling, sometimes fluttering. Sometimes it feels tight, especially when I move certain ways. it feels like i am breathing shallow, or as if my lungs are congested. but i just went to the doctor and my lungs are normal. just another anxiety symptom i suppose. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Posted on 12/21/10, 07:11 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Anxiety. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/26/10  11:16am
" yes. I try to find something to get my mind off of it. For me it is my puppy,but it works.reassure yourself its ok I mean. It may work .hope I have helped. "
Reply #2 - 12/26/10  12:08pm
" When you say fluttering, do you mean you feel your heart fluttering? Anxiety can definitely cause all kinds of chest discomfort and can make it feel like you can't breathe. At the same time, anxiety can also cause palpitations and short runs of sinus rythym or sinus tachycardia. I get palpitations all the time and sometimes I go into arrythmia (not the life threatening kind......which is very common for all kinds of reasons) . I know you said your doctor thinks your lungs are fine, did he/she mention anything about your heart? If you believe you may be getting palpitations....which is very common.....he/she may want you to wear a heart monitor to see if something is going on. I did this many years ago to see why I was getting palpitations. In most cases.....it is something benign as it was with my case.

In conclusion, anxiety makes us always think we have something severely wrong with us when it's all in our minds. Anxiety attacks will often mimic a heart attack. Our chests feel tight, our hearts race, we feel dizzy, nauseous and we may hyperventilate. Some people may even pass out. That's how powerful our minds are. So, the symptoms you are having seem like classic anxiety symptoms. If you feel you trust your doctor, I would discuss the fluttering symptoms with him/her. If you are not comfortable, I would suggest seeing someone else. The most important thing is that you need to feel comfortable and have peace of mind about your symptoms or you will never heal. I hope you are feeling better soon. Try to take it easy. ~Michelle "
Reply #3 - 12/28/10  6:21am
" Yes, don't worry about it. Everyone has that , you are just focusing so hard on it. Take a deep cleansing breath and know it is nothing to worry about and distract yourself . Don't let your mind wander back, it will try over and over but you can change it, divert focus on something welse. "
Reply #4 - 12/30/10  3:33am
" yes, it could be. A few years ago I thought the chest pain/tightness/palpitations I was having was a mild heart attack. Spent the night at the hospital, did the resting and treadmill stress test, the doctor couldn't find anything wrong. After $17,000 worth of testing he asked if I were under a lot of stress and had I ever had a panic attack before. Find some way to make yourself relax, think of something that will calm you down. I like to picture myself floating on a raft on a warm sunny day in a very calm lake, that usually does the trick for me. "
Reply #5 - 12/30/10  8:03am
" Yes, I get this symptom all the time...it is by far the most troubling symptom to me because it can get so scary. I have gone to the hospital because of the chest tightness, shortness of breath, tingling, and palpitations on several occasions swearing that I was having a heart attack. After the first several visits, the have pegged them all to anxiety and panic attacks. This is the symptom that I am fighting hte hardest to control because they seem to come up from no where. When it occurs, take several slow deep breaths and remind yourself that it is just anxiety and it will go away. "
Reply #6 - 12/30/10  11:27am
" I have that feeling too, it is anxiety. Take a deep breath and relax!!! "