How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Ankylosing Spondylitis Information

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a chronic form of arthritis--it is an inflammatory disease that causes joints, cartilage or other fibrous tissue (such as ligaments and tendons) to turn into bone. Ankylosing spondylitis is part of the group of rheumatic diseases.

The disease is characterized by progressive stiffness, tenderness, and pain in joints. Pain can be episodic and intensity can vary. For example, if the low back is affected, motion may become limited and pain can spread down into the thighs. In addition, AS can contribute to inflammation and hardening of fibrous spinal discs, which almost always causes pain with movement. In severe cases, AS can lead to spinal deformity.

While an AS diagnosis can be overwhelming, be assured that there are therapies available. Physicians usually recommended non-surgical treatments, and seldom is surgery needed. Even gentle, low-stress exercise can bring some relief.

Health Blogs

People who have certain other illnesses appear to have an increased risk for developing fibromyalgia. Rheumatic diseases are most closely linked to an increased risk for fibromyalgia.
Back and neck pain are common complaints in the doctor’s office. Back pain is a part of life but there are several things you can ask yourself and then report to your doctor that will help you figure out: will this go away on its own or not?
- Be prepared to carefully characterize your pain before you go to the doctor. - Is ... Read More »
I am a military Police Sergeant First Class. I have been in the Army for 10 years, and I have held every duty position that an enlisted Military Police officer can hold, up until company First Sergeant. I have been stationed in North Carolina, Korea, Missouri and Iraq. The day I was injured, I was out on a patrol and passed an IED (a roadside ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity