Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
How to Support Someone with a Brain Aneurysm
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I joined this group in order to be helpful/supportive of my Mother-In-Law.

She was informed Friday of a 7.9 cm brain aneurysm in the extreme center of her brain. She is 73 yo and otherwise in good health, except for speech/memory issues which the docs say is unrelated to the aneurysm.

She will call first thing Monday to schedule a visit with a surgeon.

My questions for the group is: What can my wife & I do that is helpful without imposing or seeming like we're trying to 'take-over?' We want to respect this fine person and provide support and help without overstepping boundaries.

Is surgery the only answer in a case like this or are there less invasive alternatives to consider?

Any advice would be enormously appreciated. Thank you.
Posted on 06/27/10, 08:00 am
2 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Aneurysms. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/28/10  1:44am
" Dear Borntorun,

I had a cerebral aneurysm that was located on the left internal caroltid artery...when I went to have my angiogram the surgeons felt that they need to do a craniotomy to "clip" it because it was at a biforcated area of the arterty ( biforcated is like the bottom portion of the letter V ) they said I had less than 50% chance of coiling it....my family was there and they encouraged me to instruct the surgeons to do what they had to do to coil it...they were succcessful....The only advice I can offer is find the BEST neurosurgeon that you can I live in the Philadelphia, Pa area and I went to Jefferson University Hospital as did my younger sister who found out 2 weeks after me that she had one also...an MRA shows the aneursym but and angiogram shows its in real time and actual size..also brain aneursyms can be hereditary...so family members that could be affected should have an MRA...both of my sons have,,,,and my mother has...and my sister will have all her children checked when they are older...do ont be afraid to ask questions..this is your family member...they may be afraid to ask what needs to be asked...a craniotomy of course is a more invasion procedure...where as a coiling can be done through the groin. Being positive helps. Also the internet is a huge source of info on both procedures and doctors...good luck with everything...it has been found and they can fix it...that is what is important. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/02/11  9:33am
" You're in a tough spot borntorun. I suffered a ruptured brain aneaurysm in 2002. It's taken a long time to get back on somewhat of a straight path. I wrote 6 or 7 articles for "eZineArticles" about my experiences. One that stands out for me is the one about how victims of a ruptured aneurysm can become very self-centered; only they matter. The "care-givers' take a beating.

It took me almost 5 years to realize that my "Caregiver", my wife, had feelings too. A scrambled brain can take some time to put things back in order.

It's going to take a lot of understanding on your part. The "victim' doesn't really understand what's going on. What we did was to finally get some friends to give my wife a break from my egotistical self-centered attitude. We're doing fine now.

Hope this helps some
RT... "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web