Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
iron infusion
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Just wondering if anyone has had iron intravenously.
i'm getting my infusion this fri.
just wanted to know how you felt afterwards

Thanks sandi
Posted on 12/11/11, 11:36 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Anemia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/14/11  8:16pm
" Yes, I'm on my third course of infusions (8 weeks each). It does work and I haven't experienced any side effects.

I actually find it relaxing to sit in the big chemo chairs and just read or sleep, especially since I'm usually so fatigued anyway.

Sometimes I feel better right away, sometimes it takes a couple of days, but eventually I feel great! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/14/11  9:59pm
" How long does it take for the infusion and how many do you have to take. or is it forever?
I was contacted by a research group for iron infusion but they also wanted people to have kidney problems which I do not have.
Who prescribed iron transfusions...............your family MD or a hemotologist or? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/14/11  11:57pm
" cuttlefish

thanks for the encouragement.

I'm used to infusions every 5 weeks for my RA, so i'm not worried about taking 4 hours. i usually read and sleep.
but i'm so glad you said you have no side effects. that eases my mind.
i'm looking forward to feeling better.

babee2, my hematologist decided this "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/15/11  1:43am
" Bambee, the length of the infusion depends on how much they're giving you. Mine takes about 1 1/2 hours. The number of infusions, and how often you get them, varies from person to person. I've been doing once/week for 8 weeks at a time, and it holds me for several months. Fortunately, I have health insurance!

My general MD diagnosed after doing a blood test that showed my hemoglobin was 4, the first time. This time it was 6.8, which she also caught. The hematologist is on board to try to figure out what's causing it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/15/11  8:18pm
" I am totally confused about TM. I thought a person with it had too much or the right amount of iron but the test showed they were anemic. Thought someomne said if you have TM you should never have iron infusions as it could be made worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/16/11  11:29am
" yes, usually that's never use iron. it does make you worse. that's why i'm seeing a hematologist. the only time to use iron is if your pregnant or truly iron deficiency.. but they watch you closely to raise your iron levels and do ultrasound to make sure your organs are not holding to much iron. it is very confusion. i have always been told No Iron.. but in this case i need to have some to bring my numbers back up, then no more iron.

i know this doent make since, look up thal pal's to learn more "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/16/11  6:53pm
" WOW! That does sound complicated. (I did not look up that web site yet....later) So do ou have to watch what you eat so you do not get too much iron from your food? Gosh. that would be difficult for me. I like oatmeal, apricots, raisins., etc. If I had to eat meat (I am a vegetarian), I would choose liver and onions.Comfort food from childhood.
Sandi, hope all goes well with the infusions. At leasr you should be home and feeling terrific for the holidays. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/17/11  12:58am
" No actually iron in food source is recommended, just not in supplement. For some reason that is how were supposed to get our iron. i use chinese herbs and natural food source vitamins. and before i became so iron difference, I used a multi vit that was iron free.

If one does become iron deficient, they usually check for the reason in your digestive system first. as in crohn's, ulcers, small intestine bleeds, ect..

I'm so happy my iron infusion went well today. i was really nervous on how my body would except the iron, but all went well.. so now will see how the numbers go.

In my case, we don't know what caused the deficiency. I saw a gastroenterologist and all test came back fine. so hopefully my hemoglobin will come back to my normal number.

let me know what you find out "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/17/11  1:05am
" I meant Ferritin, not hemoglobin "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/22/11  6:54pm
" HAD 3 SEPARATE IRON INFUSIONS. THE TREATMENT LASTED ABOUT 6 MONTHS FOR ME. FOR THAT TIME FRAME I FELT RENEWED AND RE-ENTERGIZED. THE INFUSION ITSELF WAS NOT PAINFUL AND THE ATMOSPHERE WAS RELAXING. GOOD LUCK "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web