Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Pain After Amputation
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
It has been three weeks since my amputation. My stump feels tingly and burns like when you fall and get all scraped up. I don't feel like I need pain meds just want to know how others felt at this point.
Tina
Posted on 02/18/11, 01:50 pm
33 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Amputees. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/18/11  11:24pm
" For a while after my surgery my leg and stump felt like pins and needles like it was falling asleep.I had a cast and thought it might be to tight the doc said it would go away eventually( he didnt want to remove the cast) and it finally went away. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/19/11  9:08am
" Brandi I am glad to have come this far and the kind of pain I have been having doesn't drive me to want pain killers other than
Excedrin. It doesn't take away all of the pain but it helps take the edge off.
Tina "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/19/11  11:44am
" I only have pin and needles on 1 or four sides to my stump now "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/19/11  12:20pm
" That's bearable isn't it? I hope my pain and phantum leg and foot pain go down a few notices. I am at about a 6 and would love to get down to a 4.
Tina "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/19/11  1:28pm
" bearable YES!!! mine about a 1 -2 .... from a 10! hang in there! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/20/11  9:45am
" Have you tried gently massaging the end of your stump Tina? If you can then try getting a little more aggressive with the massage. I was never in any real big pain, but when the pain started I would start massaging it to relieve the pain. My doctor didn't come around that often but the head physical therapist told me to massage the scar tissue as much and as long as possible to stop the scar tissue from building up in size internally. He said the smaller I kept the scar tissue from building up, the easier it would be walk with the prosthetic later.

Part of it too is that I was in a coma for weeks during and after the amputation, which makes it bitter/sweet! I probably missed out on most of the pain, but the coma is what led to the amputation. lol
But I do know the pain I did have was alleviated with the massage. I was massaging it as aggressive as I could stand it. Eventually I was doing it even when it didn't hurt. I still massage it a lot now a days because it does away with the phantom pains it seems like. Good Luck Tina! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/20/11  12:49pm
" I am ashamed to admit I am afraid of my stump. I clean it and dress it daily. The last of the visual red spots along the incesion line are healing nicely. It feels unreal when I t ouch it. If I touch the front I feel it in the back of my stump. It feels like I fell and scraped my leg up. I have read about massage in a lot of the journals I got as reference material from various amputee groups. They all say what you are saying. I am afraid but I will start massaging it regularly. Thanks Jennifer for lighting a fire under me to do what I know is the right thing to do.
Tina "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/20/11  1:25pm
" I was told by all my doctors to massage it. To work scars loose and the skin from growing to the shin bone. They said it would make my prosthetic much more comfortable. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/20/11  2:28pm
" Robin how does your prosthetic feel? I have no idea what it is going to feel like to strap on that leg. Thanks for your help Tina "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/20/11  2:44pm
" Tina, Being afraid to hurt your stump is a natural fear, but every time you massage it you'll be toughening it up a little more. What felt good for me when I first came home was to take a shower and while sitting on my bench, I have a bottle of Dawn dish soap that is ½ soap and ½ water, I'd squirt a bunch into my hand and start rubbing. When it's ½ and ½ like that it is really slippery and feels good actually. This will toughen the end of your stump up (the whole stump actually) but also soften up the scar tissue. I still keep the bottle on the edge of the tub and use it some still, mostly because it feels nice. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web