Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
how long does it take to walk again
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
i just got my prosethic and im an above the knee im just going into rehab to learn how to walk and just wondering how long it takes to learn
Posted on 09/25/10, 04:58 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Amputees. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/25/10  8:13pm
" I don't know your situation, but I think it depends on several factors: if you are already walking well with crutches for long distances (they build your sense of balance) and you don't have any other physical problems/injuries and you have been doing the recommended stump and core exercises several times a day for at least 5-6 weeks (sit ups, leg lifts etc.), then it shouldn't take very long to learn how to walk on the prosthetic leg (a few weeks).

I became an AK amputee about a year ago as the result of a motorcycle accident. I had to wait about 3 months for all of the insurance paperwork to go through for the leg, but I was able to walk without a cane in about 2 weeks. I am in my upper 30's and did all of the required exercises several times a day and I was very comfortable on crutches before I got the leg- even going up and down stairs.

I think it would just take more time if one was trying to walk after being in a wheelchair (without the sense of balance that crutches bring) or if a person's stump muscles weren't already built up.

I was really scared the first time I got up there on that "stilt" but it gets easier and eventually the prosthetic leg feels like a numb part of you.

Hang in there and take your time learning. If your socket is painful (a little tightness is OK) then it will make things much harder and more frustrating.

Good Luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/30/10  5:35pm
" I think it is different for everyone. But I started pt on Jan 9 2009 and was walking with one crutch just for balance and I have ruptured disks in my back.....anyway that aside it took me about 4 months between the bars at PT and was walking in about 6 months "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/30/10  11:14pm
" The time frame is different for everyone.It depends on the type of amputation and any complications a person might have.It was close to a year before I got my prosthetic because I had a spot on my stump that took a while to heal.Some people it only takes a couple of months.Talk to your doctor about it and they should be able to answer this question based on your specific situation. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web