Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Prosthetics and blisters?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is it normal to get blisters when you first wear your prosthetic, if so what can I do to stop them?
Posted on 05/13/08, 05:05 am
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Amputees. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 08/02/08  7:00am
" I have the wonderful luck(LOL) of being allergic to my own persperation. I hardly ever perspire, even in 120 degree weather. I have to watch myself, because my limb perspires with the silacone liner, and I have to wash my limb 2 to 3 times a day to keep rash free. I use silver sulvadine cream 2% on breakouts, a good cream for wounds and ulcers, and works quickly on those pesky rashes. Its cheap at wal-mart, only 4 dollers, but you need a Rx for it. It Wworks great for me; be sure to get the CREAM, ointment would never dry enough to put yur liner back on. I'm afraid these sort of things will happen from time to time, because we never seem to get a perfect fit, and that agitates these conditions, blisters, rashes, unpleasent smellss even after washing 3 times a day, rub spots, and on and on. Dont let things get bad before you get help, please. Love to all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 08/04/08  9:52am
" TORRY,I WAS HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO THE LINERS AND COULD NOT WEAR THEM..I HAVE THE NEW KIND NOW THAT THE DOCTORS ARE TRYING OUT AND I HAPPENED TO BE ONE TO GET THESE TO TRY OUT AND THEY DO NOT BREAK ME OUT. I DO NOT KNOW THE NAME OF THEM BUT I WILL TRY TO REMEMBER TO ASK AND GET BACK TO YOU..I CAN WEAR THESE EVENN WHEN I DO SWEAT.THEY ROLL UP ON YOUR LEGS EASIER AND DO NOT HAVE ALL THE METAL ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM LIKE THE OTHERS DID.I DO KNOW THAT THEY GO WITH THE C-LEGS AND THOSE ARE GREAT ALSO! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 08/07/08  12:20am
" Lots of new amputees will experience blisters. Depends if they are water blisters- they occur due to rapid fluctuation in volume of the stump. A stump shrinker will help in this case.
Second types could be from your liners. You might need releif in your socket at the spots of blisters.
Can you tell us your amputation level and the exact areas where you get the blisters? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 08/07/08  12:56am
" My "blisters" are like popped water blisters, not ozing, but raw skin, small spots 4mm or smaller. I dont let them even get a chance to get worse, and the silver silvadine 2% cream usually heals OVERNIGHT beleive it or not! I really beleive it is perswperation, because I dont perspire all the time, just when I oevr heat or get a hot flash,(yes, I am in menopause) and tthen I get sweaty in the lin er, and no mor than 10 mins go by, and I am itching and burning, and I get the liner off, cool down, wash up, and medicate, air out a little while, and back on we go. I wear my liner about 22 hours a day, and sleep with my leg on; I know, unusual, but I only have problems when i perspire, and I wash 2 to 3 times a day anyway, even if there are not any problems, so I wont have problems. I dont get any ulcerated sores, just what I would call heat rashes like babies get. A minor inconvience, but I thank God I dont have some of the problems others have. I feel blessed. Thanks for your concern. By the way, I support White Mountain Naturals products. Great stuff. Love to all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 08/16/08  10:59pm
" I am an above the knee amputee.I use a gel-liner I have never gotten a blister.On one occation i put my leg on and as the day grew on the loser my leg got.I was not able to tighten it up it took 2 days to get rid of the red sore spots.The one thing that IS giving me a problem is my insiton has been really slow in healing I have had to work through weeping and some bleeding.What I did was cut the ball end of my largest sock and applyed it strait to the stump end this both protected it and did not stick to scab "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #16 - 08/17/08  6:32am
" Good Idea, Papertrucker. Watch the "weeping" for any color change or cloudiness, and call your MD asap if there is a change. Also, your wound might heal faster if you didnt walk on it very much, just till it's healed and all scabs are gone. I'm not sure if you have diabetes or not, but f you do, this will take a while. Mine took 6 weeks to heal; that is a Loong time. and I didn't get my prothsis till after it healed. I am a BKA so it mught be different for you. Ask your MD. Love to all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #17 - 04/02/09  6:22pm
" I have had chaffing for40 years now and I still don't believe it should be happening, but the orthopedic and prosthetic doctors only recommend talcum powder, corn starch, stump socks (depending on which socket you have), silicone jackets, and not much else.

The rest of the time they just shrug their shoulders.

I always carry tons of plasters in my bag in case, I have a suction socket so I only use talcum powder (corn starch doesn't work for me). Plasters are not ideal though, very often they can make the matter worse.

I also have a my own make-shift solution to the problem: I cut a large enough piece of spongy rubber (but it must be the absolute smooth type) and I just tuck that into the top of the stocking cover and over the lip of the socket (that's where it always catches me), in conjunction with powder. Reapplying powder all day long is essential especially when I perspire in my socket.

I came here to read the other answers and find advice on this myself, as I still have not successfully solved this problem (over 40 years).

Taking the leg off whenever you can and rubbing Prep into the stump helps a bit. There is also ant-chafe barrier cream, which one can use directly after your shower, followed by talcum powder "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #18 - 04/03/09  12:00am
" I use a cut off knee high nylon I cut the toes out. Then I pull it up on my leg where the top of the liner meets my leg. This helps with the rash I got from my liners no cream I used help to take care of the the rash I would pnly get the rash where the liner meet my leg. I got this ideal maybe its because it where air meets sweat and if I use something just around the top of the liner maybe the rash would go away. Yes it did it helps to keep the sweat away from my leg. I use the nylon for over a year now. If I don't used it for couple of days the rash comes back.
As for me with blister I had a ingrown hair once I used a band and some antibiotic ointment for a few days and on weekends I try to wait for a few hours before I put my leg on couple of weeks it went away. I also got a bruse from a bone in front of the leg just 2" or so below your knee you can feel it if you start at you knee and go down it where the nevers or something connects to it just about 2" down from your knee and that is where my leg ends. I am getting a new leg made and we are switching over to the vac systems cant wait to see how that works out.
Yes jacciocon get to your leg doc and get it look at right away you should not get blister there are a sign that something is not right.

Dennis "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #19 - 04/04/09  5:26pm
" I am an above the knee amputee Although I never have gotten any blisters it took for ever to toughen up the end of the stump.I live in florida where it gets really hot sweat has been a huge issue first it starts to itch then the sweat starts to piston pumping making for a painfull situation I have been using sockes to wick the water away which has helped to a degree.What really helps is to take every thing off and dry it and start from scratch.I was told that if you have blisters that your socket is not fit right.Hope I helped "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web