Prosthetics and blisters?
Is it normal to get blisters when you first wear your prosthetic, if so what can I do to stop them?
Posted on 05/13/08, 05:05 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Amputees. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/13/08  6:11pm
" There are alot of reasons for blisters. The best thing you can do is go back to your prosthetist and show him the blisters. You may need an adjustment to your socket but that is only 1 possibility. "
Reply #2 - 05/13/08  6:11pm
Reply #3 - 05/13/08  7:47pm
" I am on my second socket, just got it 3 weeks ago. I got blisters on the first one and this new one too at first. I'm bk amp and I wear a silicone liner to just above the knee and then another goes over that, up to my thigh. What I am almost sure causes my blisters is when the seal is broken between my leg and/or liners. Sometimes after I put on my leg, I wait about 30 minutes and take down the outer liner and put it back on just to make sure there are no air pockets. Same with the other liner if it feels sore or funny at all. If you have any other questions please ask. We are all here to help. "
Reply #4 - 05/15/08  6:15am
" It is normal to get blisters, but still tell your prosthetist incase there is excessive rubbing in the socket or it may be too loose. The way I have dealt with blisters and sores is partly to put up with them and also put triple antibiotic on them. Sometimes a bandaid will help reduce rubbing while the blister heals. "
Reply #5 - 05/15/08  7:06am
" Okay maybe I'm wrong here, but I was told that there should NEVER be blisters on your residual limb. The prosthetist told me if I feel it rubbing and it looks like it might turn into a blister to put my back up leg on and come see him right away. Blisters can only lead to serious complications with recovery time, and the possibility of infection, which will cause more time out of the prosthetic, or worse, surgery. Diabetic people REALLY have to watch for these types of eruptions. In the 6 months since I lost my leg, and the three prosthetics I have been through, I never had a blister form. If an area was irritated, I used my back up leg, and gave the trouple spot some attention. But to let it get to a blister, that has to be a problem with the fit of the socket. There are pads that can be put in to take up room, and it can be heated and stretched a touch for the tight spots. I know there will be spots on my leg that will always get irritated more than others, especially where my weight is bourne the most. But I never let it get to a point that a blister or sore will show up. That's not good and it makes wearing the leg unbearable. Vigilance is the key, and red spots, always show the prosthetist your red spots when you take your leg off. I never take my leg off until he is actually in front of me ready to see my leg. That way the red spots are noticable and we can adjust the socket. Hope this helps. "
Reply #6 - 05/15/08  10:32am
" Would wearing stump socks prevent blisters? "
Reply #7 - 05/15/08  12:20pm
" EVERYTHING Johnny said I agree with!! you NEVER should get blisters from your prosthesis and if your prosthetist tells you this is normal he his very very wrong and you should seek a new prosthetist!! Blisters are always bad!! they can lead to infection and sever complications. "
Reply #8 - 05/18/08  4:17pm
" I got my leg as a BK amputee in Sept. 2007 and continue to get blood blisters with little concern from my prosthetist. I expected to be walking by now but have to recover several weeks at a time because I am a slow diabetic healer. The advice here makes good sense. I shall confront my therapist to either fix this blister problem or "hit the road Jack." I'm tired of his excuses... Summer is here and I want to go sailing - NOW. Thanks for your advice on this forum. "
Reply #9 - 05/19/08  11:29am
" Sanjuan: It sounds like your prosthetist is in this for the money and has very little regard for his clients well being. Blood blisters are not normal and is definitely that should be a great concern to anyone but especially to a diabetic. I wouldn't give him another chance. I would find another prosthetist as soon as possible that will show the correct level of concern for problems that pop up. Anyway good luck with any decision you make. "
Reply #10 - 05/19/08  6:35pm
" Hey all
Johnyboy hit the nail on the head...you should not have any sores that turn to blisters...
if you even have a persisteat red spot...it may need to be looked at...it should never get to the point of a blister...when u have a good fit..and alignment...you should be as comfortable as a good pair of shoes! Any thing less...and something is wrong...

Frosty "