Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Solutions other than AA
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anybody got any ideas to help stay sober without having to go to AA?
Posted on 04/17/12, 04:12 pm
35 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Alcoholism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/17/12  4:59pm
" Nothing that worked for me! There are others here who might have suggestions.
Why not AA? are you an alcoholic? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/17/12  6:01pm
" go to NA hahaha they are the same thing different name...LOL

no some here have success with sober no AA like ExJerseygirl I think is one...several others will pipe up and tell what they do

I do AA...did white knuckle for year and then drank again found AA ten months later again "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/17/12  7:02pm
" church don't know what your religious beliefs are? It's a spiritual disease and needs to be dealt with that way, if you don't believe in god, read the atheists version in AA book. Even a devil worshiper can do AA. You have to really find your way. AA has gotten in to peoples faces to much, turning ppl off from it, there hand is always suppose to be there. Alot of ppl get holier then though personalities they forget where they came from.Share what you have a problem with about AA, then it can be addressed usually what we think AA is, is not true or what ppl say it is. Alot of opinions on AA. Just don't drink, see a therapist if needed. Not too many ways to choose from though. AA does work and take what you need and leave the rest has always been my motto.Alcoholics become dr's and nurses over night lmao "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/17/12  8:46pm
" well said, psmike59. Not much I can add to that, really... I've been sober for a year and a half without AA (except to show up when I'm due for my next sober time chip, and when I was required to by my outpatient counselor in the beginning), and at least in my opinion and in the opinions of those closest to me, I am also recovering successfully in addition to remaining sober. Anyways, alcoholism messes ya up mentally, physically, and spiritually. If you can find a better way to address those three areas without AA (not at all hard to find a better way than AA, in my opinion), it can be done. The physical aspect will mend itself for the most part, following innitial detoxification (if applicable), your mind will heal itself in time also but will require a little bit of prayer, meditation, reflection, and knowledge. I'd say the part that requires the most conscious effort is getting on track spiritualy. This is something that can best be accomplished by believing in and developing a relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ. If you have other beliefs/different understanding of God, that's fine... whatever works for ya. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/17/12  9:19pm
" Yes!! But I know for me The secret to all of this in My eyes Today .

Was where could I find a place that both enriched My spirit and gave Me direction on How to the sooth the Beast called alcoholism.

While remaining abstinent long enough to see the dire straights in front of Me

if I thought it was a good idea to pick up again .I found it all in AA without having to become religiously inclined. Its something to think about Ok.

AA is about Alcoholism and personal growth I believe in my observation of myself and others staying Abstinent....

Nothing else!
Billy "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/17/12  10:43pm
" Sure -- check out SMART Recovery. They have good information and tools available online:

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

They also have online and in person meetings.

You can also check out Rational Recovery -- I think they have good advice around AVRT -- Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. Recognizing the voice in your head that tries to convince you that it's a good idea to drink and strategies for keeping it from gaining control. (More to it than that ... but that's the high level view.)

I found the book "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr to be illuminating as well. It really helped me shift my thinking about what drinking is about and why I couldn't stop.

There is also a subgroup here you should check out: : http://www.dailystrength.org/groups... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/17/12  10:46pm
" I should also ask, where are you in the process of quitting? Is it something you are thinking about? Have you quit before in the past and found yourself drinking again? Have you tried to quit and couldn't? Or have you stopped and are looking for additional support? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/18/12  12:41am
" although AA is a wonderful program, stats show church get more people sober. Probably because they do not have to do the steps to get better! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/18/12  12:53am
" My take on AA? If it works don't fix it.
Greg "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/18/12  1:23am
" i've tried aa and rehab, nothing has worked for me for 17 years of heavy drinking. i'm not knocking AA, but the only thing that worked for me was when I came to the end of the line and I cried out to God in totally despair. My life has been completely changed and I never thought being sober could be as wonderful as it is. Not trying to preach, just sharing with you how I was cured of this terrible diesease. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web