Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Bondage of self...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I never understood my self centeredness until it was explained to me that it stemmed from fear. I totally get this.

I want this "freedom from the bondage of self" that I hear people talk about but I have so much fear still that I feel kind of frozen.

Can anyone elaborate on how they overcame this?

How do you live your life free of this self centered fear. What do you do that is in service to others? How do you give of yourself?

I am thinking i can pick something small every day to do. I just have to get better at noticing opportunities.

Thanks.
Anna
Posted on 09/21/11, 12:51 pm
36 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Alcoholism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/21/11  1:17pm
" As it implys in the 3rd step prayer we are prisoners of the only way of thinking that we have ever known.Those alcoholic self centered self serving ways of thinking is how we learned how to manipulate people places and things to do what we wanted them to do. We had to break that bondage of self by learning to surrender. Not only did we have to surrender to the power that alcohol had over us we had to surrender our self to a power greater than ourselves,We had to admit to our innermost selves that we were alcoholic and that our lives had become unmanageable. So in effect we had to retrain our brains to be another kind of person. We had to put others before ourselves especially when it comes to being of service. We had to surrender to the possiblity that others just might have a better idea on how to live life than we did. So in the course of surrendering our self will we found that we learned the true meaning of Humble. Greg "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/21/11  1:21pm
" I try to be there for people just to lend an ear and share my own experience with whatever is troubling them. Just knowing that life ain't all about me frees me from the bondage of self. Putting others' needs ahead of my own.

It's not just about good deeds. It's about right thinking. It's daily effort for me but necessary. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/21/11  1:26pm
" So what do you DO, Greg?

What is your service? How to you put others before yourself? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/21/11  1:28pm
" I have done nothing but do for others for years and it brought me to burn out. I'm selfish and loving it right now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/21/11  1:32pm
" Tiff's post "act as if" got me thinking. I am working on changing my mindset but I feel like I need to DO some deeds to get me over the hump. I need to start acting unselfish. Chris - You gave me some ideas the other day. Wanted to see what other people do too.

I actually think I am a pretty good friend to other people as far as listening and "being there" but other than that... I struggle. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/21/11  3:49pm
" There's a fellow here in my neck of the woods who's been sober a year longer than I have. He's one of those oldtimers who refuses to believe that there's no rank of bishop or professor emeritus in AA, and his idea of service is "carrying the message" to as many people as possible. He's an AA evangelist or crusader 24/7, and I've even heard him chew out a sponsee who, in his opinion, didn't put enough money in the basket. He's frankly contemptuous of any other sober member who doesn't treat him like a saint, and when he "shares" at meetings it's usually a tirade against what the rest of us are doing wrong.

Yet in point of fact, old Bob does more sponsoring and real-time service than any ten of us put together. My only question is, does this mean he's not self-centered and is he really helping anyone? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/21/11  4:10pm
" pray "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/21/11  4:16pm
" Anna I sponsor 3 guys hold bookstudies at my house I do H&I work and I'm on the board of directors for a 88 bed recovery center. Thats my AA service stuff. I am the best man i can be today is my God service. Greg "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/21/11  4:19pm
" bwf,

Pray, but how? The 12 & 12 book has some definite ideas about that:

"Of course, it is reasonable and understandable that the question is often asked: 'Why can't we take a specific and troubling dilemma straight to God, and in prayer secure from Him sure and definite answers to our requests?'

"This can be done, but it has hazards. We have seen AA's ask with much earnestness and faith for God's explicit guidance on matters ranging all the way from a shattering domestic or financial crisis to correcting a minor personal fault, like tardiness. Quite often, however, the thoughts that seem to come from God are not answers at all. They prove to be well-intentioned unconscious rationalizations. The AA, or indeed any man, who tries to run his life rigidly by this kind of prayer, by this self-serving demand of God for replies, is a particularly disconcerting individual. To any questioning or criticism of his actions he instantly proffers his reliance upon prayer for guidance in all matters great or small. He may have forgotten the possibility that his own wishful thinking and the human tendency to rationalize have distorted his so-called guidance. With the best of intentions, he tends to force his own will into all sorts of situations and problems with the comfortable assurance that he is acting under God's specific direction. Under such an illusion, he can of course create great havoc without in the least intending it.

"We also fall into another similar temptation. We form ideas as to what we think God's will is for other people. We say to ourselves, 'This one ought to be cured of his fatal malady,' or 'That one ought to be relieved of his emotional pain' and we pray for these specific things. Such prayers, of course, are fundamentally good acts, but often they are based upon a supposition that we know God's will for the person for whom we pray. This means that side by side with an earnest prayer there can be a certain amount of presumption and conceit in us. It is AA's experience that particularly in these cases we ought to pray that God's will, whatever it is, be done for others as well as for ourselves."

"Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions," pp. 103-4 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/21/11  4:37pm
" Greg... "I am the best man i can be today is my God service."

I am serious, what does that mean?

I was chatting someone who suggested I put some quarters in parking meters. Another person said to pay the tab for the person behind me at a fast food drive thru. Another person said they smile and ask how are you to the gas station attendant. Another person said they pick up trash when they pass it on the sidewalk.

I am getting ideas.

Pray? When I do that lately, I feel like God looks at me like I am an idiot because I know what I am supposed to do. That is why I posted to get ideas and because it is inspiring to hear what other kindness people do.

I am in a shitty place.

I understand "bondage of self" in the way I understand alcoholism. I can relate. I think I also hide it pretty well.

Ok. I just need to start doing stuff. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web