When does the shaking stop???
Today is day one.....and I am shaking like the leaves on the October trees. I do not know if it is lack of alcohol making me shake or the breakup of a wonderful relationship and pending lay off. I am going to find a meeting tonite...1st AA. I have just returned from a Vegas 4 day ultradrunk......Never would I think it would be me the drunk.....Have a great day
Posted on 10/16/08, 03:51 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Alcoholism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/16/08  4:40pm
" I just wanted to give you my support and hope the AA meeting goes well. Well done you for acknowledging what is happening and reaching out.

I never got the shakes so can not help you there but I know a man in my group did a few years back.....be careful, I think if you are really dependent you should be seeking medical health with this (maybe ask at the AA meeting if you can get the courage to). "
Reply #2 - 10/16/08  4:40pm
" Hi, I don't know if "it is lack of alcohol making me shake or the breakup of a wonderful relationship and pending lay off." either. Better be careful. I mean it could be DT's. But I don't know you, so I can't say, of course.

Here's a little something I found for you to read and see if it better helps you figure out where you are right now...Right Now.

The Shakes
For some, who are less chemically dependent, withdrawal symptoms might be as "mild" as merely getting the shakes, or the sweats -- or perhaps nausea, headache, anxiety, a rapid heart beat, and increased blood pressure.
Although these symptoms are uncomfortable and irritating, they are not necessarily dangerous. But they are often accompanied by the "craving" for more alcohol, making the decision to continue abstinence much more difficult to make.

Even the "morning after" hangover of someone who only occasionally drinks to excess, is actually a mild form of alcohol withdrawal from the excesses of the night before, as the alcohol content of their blood begins to drop. The symptoms can appear within a few hours after not drinking.

The DT's
However, within six to 48 hours after not drinking, hallucinations may develop. These usually are visual hallucinations but they can also involve sounds and smells. They can last for a few hours up to weeks at a time.
Also within this time frame after quitting, convulsions or seizures can occur, which is the point at which alcohol withdrawal can become dangerous, if not medically treated. The symptoms may progress to delirium tremens (DT's) after three to five days without alcohol. The symptoms of DT's include profound confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, hyperactivity, and extreme cardiovascular disturbances.

Once DT's begin, there is no known medical treatment to stop them. Grand mal seizures, heart attacks and stroke can occur during the DT's, all of which can be fatal. "
Reply #3 - 10/16/08  4:51pm
" Well, Rainbow covered the shakes from a medical standpoint. I had them too, but the milder version (not DT's). Please monitory yourself very closely and don't be afraid to see a doctor. I don't know your drinking history, but if you've been at for awhile then you need to be very careful when you quit. Good call on the AA meeting- they'll help you. "
Reply #4 - 10/16/08  5:25pm
" Keep hydrated, it will help with the shakes. I don't think anyone here envisioned themselves as a drunk when they grow up, that is for sure! But perhaps if you stay sober long enough, you will see the unique blessings a recovering alki has. My ability to appreciate things and not complain about everything has so much increased. I am grateful for what I think is important now, and if I hadn't suffered for so long I probably would not have such appreciation. I am truly a grateful alcoholic and would not change much that has happened. It sounds strange, maybe now but stick with it and you'll see. "
Reply #5 - 10/16/08  6:35pm
" I shook for a very long time off on the first year. I am convinced the majority of it was fear. I was terrified to live w/out liquor....especially in public around folks not using. I had no idea that alcohol withdrawal was fatal to some. I withdrew alone, my kids had been taken and it was Easter. I kept thinking I saw mice out of the corner of my eye and that there was a radiio or tv on somewhere, but there was not, and I shook like a bad actress on a soap opera and drifted in and out of consciousness before becoming sleepless for awhile. I just thought I had finally gone mad and was having a nervous breakdown. Take alcohol and benzo withdrawal seriously, if I had needed to know I might need medical help, then I would have had the experience you are having right now of people telling you. Ask for help. Then when you sober up, remind me that I said that. Much love and prayers "
Reply #6 - 10/16/08  8:08pm
" Your OKAY & Your gonna be okay. My shaking stopped after about 48hrs, but please whatever you do , feel free to consult your home doctor and tell him/her (tommrow) if it's still going on . Self detox is very Dangerous, taking into consideration your drinking . How Long? How much? How frequent? People can have fatel results trying to quit cold turkey if drinking is long term & enormous amounts. I remember still "shaking" on the inside kinda feeling for days after I ceased drinking. But first 5-7 day crucial for your health. Don't be afraid to go for medical help.I'm here if you need to chat, I'm here to listen, and I want you to know , I think your very brave. Hang on , I promise it will get better. "
Reply #7 - 10/16/08  8:12pm
" The old timers used orange juice and honey to settle down the jitters - why not try it?

I agree with monitoring yourself carefully and having a doctor's number to hand.

Better still why not phone the AA hotline and get some AA's to come over and sit through it with you and get you started on the steps. "
Reply #8 - 10/16/08  8:14pm
" it's called dt's it will last for a couple of days or so depending on how long you drank. "
Reply #9 - 10/16/08  8:16pm
" try some honey or something sweet it may stop the shakes, but they will go away if you just don't drink. "
Reply #10 - 10/16/08  8:32pm
" WELCOME!

Regardless of what's causing them, the shakes will go away.

I shook bad too, would drop things, knock things over, it was like I was a baby again trying to figure out how to make my limbs work. I was a nervous wreck, to say the least.

One day my sponsor chided me that he wasn't afraid to hand me a cup of coffee any longer since I'd stopped shaking so bad. We shared a laugh and and then he asked me to go around the room and welcome newcomers. I started to protest but he gave me one of those looks and turned to start shaking the trembling hands of other newly sober men.

I've had a few cups of coffee slopped on my shoes since then (mostly by me, I admit) and it's a good reminder of where I was when I came into the rooms. "