Drinking wine every night starting at 7:00 pm.
I don't work...not at the moment...In the process...I don't drink all day...I've been married nearly 3 years now. I never had a problem with drinking all my life...now at nearly 51 I'm a alcoholic. I never could stand any liquor, beer is ok but I can put it down. Wine has become my drink. I married a man who drinks wine every night. It started out when we got into our relationship...a glass, two, three, talk over the day, kids, life. Some how it caught up with me and now I depend on it...a habit...what's bad is I don't even really like it. I go all day without a drink...some times not often I'll start before my husband drives up...one glass...but usually when he gets his 1st glass...I say Honey pour me one too...3-4 glasses later...I'm drunk. I started out a happy drunk...lately I'm kinda mean, sometimes...most times... I don't remember what I've said and have to ask my husband...and lol I just found out he's forgetting things his self...so much for a reliable source...I get upset with myself for drinking, having no control, something I always had...I promise to not drink every single morning...it last til my Honey gets home...I got 2 1/2 hours before he gets here...I don't want to drink...Help? Is there medicine to help...and I don't smoke all day either...but with the wine, comes me smoking puffs off my Husbands cigar...yuk...lol...Of course we have problems...and I've had many. But I also have much to be thankful for and lots of blessings...healthy (so far) of course the wine is starting to put weight on me...started at 107 lbs. now 121 lbs. It really bothers me...My children, grandchildren, my wonderful husband...sigh...HELP?
Posted on 05/30/08, 04:48 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Alcoholism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/30/08  4:54pm
" Sounds like you crossed the line to the disease of alcoholism. From my exp, it doesn't matter what you drink wine, beer, liquor ECT. We drink for the effect. There is a solution but you have to have the wiliness to accept your problem and there is help available. One thing to keep in mind your not alone.. "
Reply #3 - 05/30/08  6:06pm
" Well you have a few suggestions here - no-one can tell you that you are an alcoholic from what you have written here.

You may have crossed the line or you may not. It would be wise to dig a little deeper.

AA has a lot of members who have a problem with heavy drinking (some even get sclerosis of the liver) but the are not the kind of alcoholic that only a spiritual experience can save. These heavy drinkers can often stop and stay stopped by just attending meetings and talking about their problems.

If you google Alcoholics Anonymous on-line you can read AA's "Big Book" (Alcoholics Anonymous) on-line.

Read the Doctor's Opinion and the first three chapters.

If you identify strongly with it, go to AA and get someone who sponsors people to explore that area a little more with you.

It won't do any harm (you can go anonymously to an open meeting to check it out) and at least you will know what is on offer and a bit more about the current problem.

Best wishes to you. I think it is good that you are sensibly recognising that things are getting out of hand.

It could be viewed as the "belt and braces" approach but it could set your mind at ease or give you an idea of what to do further (the 12 Step programme) if you decide you really are an alcoholic of the hopeless kind. "
Reply #4 - 05/30/08  6:07pm

Read the Doctor's Opinion and the first three chapters.

Reply #5 - 05/30/08  6:38pm
" yeah...my husband drinks beside me every night...makes if even tougher. "
Reply #6 - 05/30/08  7:37pm
" Wine was my drink of choice within 10 years I went from 1 or 2 glasses a few nights week with dinner to 2.5 litres a day and just out of detox
Take action now - can you not make a pact with hubby and set ground rules for the wine consumption per week - the more you drink the more your body will get used to it and you will need more just like any other drug
GOOD LUCK "
Reply #7 - 05/30/08  8:43pm
" yes there is a medicine! it's called AA. It's a little hard to swallow.at first , but it;s very effective. "
Reply #8 - 05/30/08  9:56pm
" i wish i had stopped the insanity earlier but alas i did not. that resulted in years of suffering. guess you could say i missed out on about 2 decades of life. there were some good times though it is hard to remember them now. i suggest you find a support group of some kind. i do aa but there are many others. find one you are comfortable with and the group of friends you meet there will show you the way out. "
Reply #9 - 05/31/08  2:22am
" it don't matter what you drink, if it has alcohol in it, and you are an alcoholic it's all bad. "
Reply #10 - 05/31/08  2:45am
" You are the only one who can determine if you have a problem. I can say that alcohol is very insidious and cunning and baffling a powerful. But, I also believe there are different levels of alcoholism. I (admittedly) am a pretty hopeless alcoholic. I don't like to give advice, but let me give you some advice - go to AA and see what find out about yourself. "