Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
blackheads and acne in 7 year old
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
hello everyone.

i am asking for advice/suggestions about my daughter. she is 7, soon to be 8 (on the 22nd!). she has been getting blackheads on her nose, along with a few regular, small pimples on her face.

about a year ago now, i had brought her to her ped for a well check-up, and they thought it could be early puberty, but that was ruled out. she still does not have any of the external signs of sexual development. just the skin issues.

i know that sounds vain, but i myself had HORRIBLE cystic acne as a teenager.mine didn't start till around age 11/12, along with my period. i was on every antibiotic, topical ointment, over-the-counter products, prescriptions, even two courses of accutane (which helped the best of anything, but didn't take it all away). i am in my early 30's, and i STILL have it. i am confused for a teenager occasionally because of my face. it is horribly embarrassing, and i will do most anything to prevent my kids from having the years of being picked on and from having their skin be scarred from acne.

i have tried witch hazel as an astringent just on her nose, but that didn't work. i've also tried a small concentration of salicylic acid as well as benzol peroxide, but it's SO drying. and i only use a small dab of it. she washes her face twice a day, with a very gentle cleaner (it's called Purpose). I tried talking to her doctor about it, but it's just overlooked. Her diet is good, her health is over-all well.

Anyone have kids with a similar issue? Any tips on what is gentle but effective? I am willing to try almost anything. She is already being teased at school over this, and she's just in second grade.

I am totally overwhelmed by the amount of things in the drug store aisles for skin care, and I was very curious to see if anyone else here has a child with this issue and has found something that I could try.

I appreciate all your help!
Posted on 12/09/08, 02:26 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Parenting Big Kids (5-8). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/09/08  2:35pm
" Have you thought about Proactive ? the one on tv everyday. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/09/08  11:10pm
" well, it's a bit expensive. i know it can be, trying all these products. she does have really bad sensitivity to the benzol peroxide, and i was hoping to avoid it. i know that is what is in the Proactive, I've used it before.

Thank you, though, Mind4, for replying. I appreciate. I guess I'll just keep on going through the products. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/10/08  8:59am
" It is expensive.Sorry I did not help much.I know how embarrasing it can be for her because I went through it myself.You might try Dove unscented soap and make her use it every night on her face.Do you know how many oxy pads I went through and they do not work.Good Luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/10/08  9:40am
" I'll have to check, but Avon has a product line that is similar to ProActive, but I'm not sure if it has the benzol peroxide in it..... and they have other acne products, and I've found avon to usually be gentle..... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/15/08  6:03am
" Bath and body works has a product line very similar to proactive. You'll have to check. I think it's like 30 dollars as compared to 60. But,realistically, we can't put a price on the peace it would bring her. My sisters both have struggled with acne for most of their lives. The up side, you could share it...then you'd get more bang for your buck...either way.

Good Luck!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/15/08  10:23pm
" I have found that Proactive is the only thing that works. And, when you sign up they will automatically send it to you so you don't run out.
Don't waste your time with the over the counter stuff....just does not work. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/15/08  11:48pm
" Is she maybe allergic to something? What is the underlying cause? Trying things on her skin seems like addressing the symptoms, or am I wrong about that? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/18/08  5:14pm
" I joined this site just so I could reply. My little girl started developing acne when she was 7. We didn't know it was acne until she was almost 9. We thought it was a skin allergy until I finally requested our family physician to refer us to a dermatologist. He put her on Benz. Peroxide which helped but never cleared it completely. She is now 10 years old and her acne is much worse. She's started to get white heads and black heads. The dermatologist wants her to take an oral antibiotic. But I struggled for years with yeast infections and have heard very negative things about antibiotics being used long term for acne. He wasn't pleased when I put my foot down and feels only antibiotics can help her.
I use ProActiv myself and tried her on it for a few weeks. But her acne got so red and inflammed I stopped.
Now we're trying Purpose face wash and two topical treatments prescribed by the doctor. He wants us to give it 2 months. Her treatment will be to wash very gently, dry completely (5 min) apply med (dry 5-15min) then moisturize with Neutrogena oil free moisturizer.
I found acne.org for the regimen above. I'll keep you posted and let you know if this treatment works and the name of the two topicals. If they don't work I'm done with the dermatologist and his bullying. We'll try the acne.org treatment with BP if this current treatment doesn't work.
I had to reply, your story sounds exactly like ours. She is perfectly healthy, eats well, sleeps well and this is her only physical issue.
Cross your fingers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/22/09  11:32pm
" My acne began at age 10, but I've already noticed a few blackheads on my son's face. (He is almost 6.) I have left them alone, but I can totally understand your concern if your daughter's is getting worse.

Both my ex (son's dad) and I had years of bad acne. Only now that I am in my mid-30s has the acne calmed down.

A scrub is probably too harsh for a 7-year old's skin, but then so is benzoyl peroxide :( Not easy for sure. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/01/09  8:03pm
" I know it's been a while since this was posted, but wondered how things went and what treatment was used in the end.

Also, Trufflewitch8, did your treatment work?

My daughter is also seven and recently started getting pimples on her chin. I had acne starting at 11 years old so I also worry about her skin. Her dad has beautiful skin, so I was hoping she'd get lucky in that area.

What I have done that helps to make the pimples smaller is wash gently, apply isopropyl alcohol directly on the pimple (not on surrounding skin) with a cotton swab, let that dry, then apply tea tree oil also directly on the pimple and not on skin. This really does wonders, although the pimples don't seem to ever go away there is little red spots where they once were.

I'm just concerned that she is getting pimples so young. I worry about hormonal issues or something else. She also gets a little bit of body odor in her armpits so....

Any more thoughts on this? Thanks! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web