Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lying
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have two boys, ages 4 and 5. What is the best way to deal with lying???

I want the kids to feel comfortable telling me the truth, but at the same time, I feel like I can't let the lies go unpunished.
Posted on 02/10/12, 11:11 am
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Parenting Big Kids (5-8). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/10/12  1:06pm
" It depends on the situation. Are they lying to not get into trouble or lying to not have to fix something? lying for someone else? Our general rule is 'double trouble' for lying. If they kids lie about stupid stuff, like, not making their bed or not doing homework, well, that's minor - 10 minutes early to bed, but if they lie about lying...well, double trouble - usually a toy or game and bed early. Lying is NOT acceptable when it involves safetey of them or others - if they tell the truth that might result in someone getting into trouble, they still need to tell the truth - ie. tattling on a friend who stole from the teacher, or something like that. Ultimately, they need to know that telling the truth is their moral obligating and that even white lies, can cause harm to others. Plus, make them realize, that telling the truth, while maybe hurtful or uncomfortable, it's the right thing to do and they will feel good about it - if they lie, they most likely will add to that lie, therefore creating a constant strain on the issue which, at 4/5 is probably not that big of a deal anyway. One thing we alawys ask the boys if they lie, is WHY? Why did you lie about not doing your homework (or whatever) usually, they can't answer - if they say 'I don't know" well, we tell them 'if you don't know why you are doing something, probably shouldn't be doing it..."
Good luck to you! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/10/12  4:54pm
" We do not tolerate lying in our house. Honesty gets rewarded, even if the reward is a lesser punishment for misbehavior. The punishment is doubled if there was lying. I think it's very important for children to learn early that honesty gets rewarded. I want them to be uncomfortable lying to me, so maybe they won't be so quick to lie when they are teenagers. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web