Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Pregnancy&Addison's
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Those who have had successful pregnancies do you have any tips or pointers to give? Obviously hydration will be a big one and I've read that the 1st trimester is often the roughest for people with Addison's because of the amount of stress the body is going through in creating the living environment for baby and so on. Did you have a pregnancy before being diagnosed with Addison's and one with Addison's? If so, what was different between the two?

My honey and I are currently trying to conceive our 2nd child. Our daughter was born Jan '10 and I was not diagnosed with Addison's then, in looking back I probably has adrenal fatigue or something else going on but my body crashed about 6 months after pregnancy. All things considered I had a pretty simple/regular pregnancy with no complications. The first trimester was spent hugging the toilet because of bad "morning sickness", I had some water retention the last couple weeks of pregnancy, but my blood pressure stayed good and everything else was peachy...It did end in a cesarean-section because baby was tilted and I was not progressing past 4cm dilated. I've read stories of women having very normal successful pregnancies with Addison's and I've read the horror stories. I know because I will be taking steroids my baby may be a bit smaller and baby may run a higher risk of cleft pallet. Are there any vets in here that would be able to lend any advice?

Thanks a million!
Posted on 01/10/11, 03:49 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Addison's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/11/11  6:13pm
" I have had a prego non AD and one having AD. I did have some functioning adrenals left with my last pregnancy, whereas now I have none, so I think if I were to do it again, it would be a bit harder??

I had good prenatal care and my biggest problem was migraines and low amniotic fluid, but everything else was just fine. My daughter was born 4 weeks early and weighed 6.5 pounds and was very healthy!

I actually think the first year with a newborn was harder then the pregnancy because of very little sleep and physical stress/emotional stress of having a new born and a 5 year old! I was on more steroids for one year after and it did help. My Endo did understand the need for more steroids, thank God!!

Just make sure you have a good prenatal care and a good Endo to help things along. And yes you can take anti-nausea meds for the morning sickness form the start, so don't let that frighten you.

Good luck, it can be done, and is so worth it!

Tanya "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/12/11  4:52am
" kristen,

where did you read that about the cleft pallet? i must be honest, that scares the $hit out of me. have you heard of any other risks like that? aauugghh!

xoxo,
misa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/12/11  10:09am
" My Perinat. told me of the cleft palet also, but she wasn't concerned about it.

Tanya "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/12/11  10:23am
" Tanya - I can totally see the first year being harder on a person rather than the pregnancy/delivery. Shoot the first 3 months of my daughter's life was the roughest I can remember simply because of how little sleep we were functioning on. Now adding a toddler in the mix will probably be even more of a struggle lol. But in my daughter's defense she is a darling toddler who is a great listener so far and doesn't get into too much trouble *so far*. I had terrible migraines the first trimester and I'm not looking forward to them again. Did they relate your low amniotic fluid with having Addison's? I've know a few perfectly healthy women who had low amniotic fluid and had to deliver early or be put on bed rest for long periods of time because of it.

Misa - I can't remember exactly where I read it because I've been reading so many documents lately on our disease, but the percentage of developing a cleft during a regular pregnancy is like 1%, if I remember correctly and the risk of a person using corticosteroids during their pregnancy, like us, raises up a few percentage rates. So needless to say it's rare, but still a chance.

Other risks are: high risk of gestational diabetes, hypertension, and fluid retention. I don't know what the percentages are, but these were some of the things my endo rambled off at our last appointment. He emphasize hydration, hydration, hydration during pregnancy. He said if your Addison's is well managed before pregnancy and you are a healthy person you should be A-OK. :)

Like Tanya said good prenatal care is key. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/12/11  7:26pm
" I was pregnant with addison's. I gained a lot of water weight, had gestational diabetes the last half and delivered 5.5 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia. Other than these issues I really enjoyed the pregnancy. I exercised regularly until month 6.5 when i started to feel tired, but that when a lot of the complications started.

I recommend youhave an emergency injection on standby for delivery day and talk to the head nurse when you're admitted. You need to clearly emphasize the importance of them giving you a stress dose of HC during delivery because you can quickly deteriorate without it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/13/11  4:25pm
" They were not sure why I had low amniotic fluid a few times, and never mentioned AD as why?? I was monitored very closely because I am also type 1 diabetic and had to make sure I tried to rest and drink plenty of fluids so I managed to stay out of hospital a
and no bed rest, thank God!

Tanya "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/14/11  10:01pm
" hmmm.

this all sounds very hard and complicated.

plus the whole pain part ...

can't someone just give me a cute baby girl, please?

it would be *much* appreciated.

curly hair preffered, but hey, i can always perm it. :)

xoxo (& lol),
misa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/16/11  9:40am
" My daughter was born with a cleft palate, and after the initial horror and guilt, I dealt with it. A cleft palate is totally inside the mouth, so you can't see any problem from the outside. Cleft lip (or as they used to call it, "hare lip") in which the lips and surrounding area are affected, is what most people are thinking of. With cleft palate the baby has to be fed with a special bottle because she can't breast feed (so get out the breast pump) and kept upright while eating and not fed solid food until after the palate is repaired. Nowadays the repair is done very early--9 or 10 months--and often in one or two operations. I'm not saying it's a picnic, but you get used to the feeding routine and being careful about not letting anything go up through the opening, where it can cause ear infections. If you're lucky, you have an otherwise healthy, amazing baby, because the real eye-opener is going to the cleft-palate clinic at a children's hospital and seeing all the problems that kids can have in addition to a cleft palate. You feel like you won the lottery.
When I finally got pregnant with my second child (again with the help of infertility drugs and treatments) I declined the ultrasound at seven months to check for cleft palate because I figured I'd been through it once and I could do it again. He wasn't born with a cleft palate, just with a dash of the lunatic from day one. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/17/11  6:19am
" emma~

your 'dash of lunatic' line made me laugh. you crack me up.

i'm sorry that happened to your daughter! thanks for sharing that, i really appreciate knowing more about one of the risks we face in pregnancy.

how long have you had addison's? did your doctors think that it might have been the cause of the cleft palet? i certainly hope that your guilt wasn't over having AD - there's nothing you could have done to prevent it. there's nothing you could have done to prevent your child from having a cleft palet in *any* situation! i suppose that's what most
of us women do, however - feel guilty about things out of our control, and i can't even imagine how your hormones and feelings are when you've just had a baby, especially your first (although i'm hoping to know very soon!)!

does she have any lasting problems/issues with her palet? i hope not.
i love your gratitude and positive outlook - seeing the other children and realizing how much worse things could have been - many women
wouldn't have been able to see that, they would have been souly focused on what THEY were going through. and here you were going through something awful, but were still thankful that it was only that. it says a lot about you. =)

thanks again for sharing!
xoxo, misa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/17/11  8:40am
" No, my daughter is OK now, except for really minor hearing loss in each ear. There can be some associated problems, such as with teeth and speech, but she was so lucky. She had to have speech therapy for a bit to learn how to talk with a roof in her mouth. That's the part that enables you to say things like chocolate chip, a very important phrase in my book. And she also has right now an odd tooth growing beisde the regular molar, but that can also be fixed easily. She is 16 and still everything I could ever wish for in a daughter. I do hope you get pregnant soon. It's so worth it. Anything you have to drag your body through is worth it; and adoption was a strong possibility for me too because it took so long to get and stay pregnant. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. The best thing I can say about pregnancy if you have a kind of rocky one is that there is a reward at the end: someone who will drive you crazy for the rest of your life because you love them so much. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web