Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Adderall
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone taken Adderall to help you stay motivated and concentrate on important things after being diagnose with AD? I wondered if it's safe?
Posted on 07/15/10, 02:52 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Addison's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/16/10  9:12pm
" Why Adderall? I found getting my Addison's stabilized was the best way to stay motivated and concentrate on the important things. Of course it sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life right now. Stress will affect motivation and focus independent of Addison's. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/16/10  11:30pm
" Just wondering. I take Hydrocortisone 20mg a day and I feel no different than I did before I was diagnosed. I can not tolerate Flourinef at all. I have an appt with my endo this month to see if there is an alternative to Flourinef. I tried one of my friends Adderalls and I couldn't believe the difference it made. I felt human, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/17/10  7:29pm
" Well, here's my personal story on this subject:

Before I was diagnosed with Addison's, actually before it was even a thought, I was having a horrible time with fatigue, staying awake to do normal activities like driving, reading for work, even eating I would fall asleep the fatigue was so severe. I would have to stop every 5-10 miles and get out of the car to wake myself up or I would literally fall asleep at the wheel. My life was a complete mess... I could not concentrate on anything, could not complete a sentence, etc... I had also just had a major spine surgery, been fired from a job through the mail, and my roommates told me they were moving out. Talk about some stress all at once!

One of my doctors prescribed Provigil, which is basically like legal speed. Of course the Provigil worked, however eventually I became life threateningly sicker in other areas because it was only treating that one symptom and not getting to the cause of the problem.

Yes, the Provigil did help and I did feel much better for a while, however in the long run I ended up feeling much worse because it did more damage to my adrenal glands. It was kind of like a huge "upper" and then eventually I had to crash and when I crashed - meaning my adrenals, they crashed big time and put me in the hospital.

So, in my personal opinion, medications like Adderall, Ritilan, and Provigil, etc... that act as stimulants, much like caffeine, and treat only the symptom of fatigue and fog by giving a temporary jolt, however after the jolt is gone, the toll they take on the adrenal glands is not worth it. The up and down roller coaster is what makes you feel horrible in the long run and much worse or is what makes you dependant on the medications to be able to get through your day.

Hydrocortisone is a steroid that is a compound closest what your body should naturally produce and what the goal is - to try and reproduce what our bodies would do on their own if they could. That's what I try to do when I take my steroids. I try to picture if my body was creating it's own stuff and take my steroids that way. I also try not to put anything in my body that alters it's natural state to overstress it because with Addison's our bodies have a hard enough time dealing with outside stressors.

Well, I've probably put too much of my own thoughts in, however I learned a huge lesson from my experience and just wanted to share. I hope this makes sense. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/17/10  8:52pm
" Thanks Cosby. I really appreciate your input. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/17/10  9:08pm
" No problem! I was also going to add that I have begun to supplement with different vitamins and supplements and it has helped tremendously! It doesn't always work as quickly, however if you stick with it, the outcome is great and the results are more permanent.

I'm big on reading to find out what's going on and I really learned a lot from a book called "Adrenal Fatigue" by J. Wilson... I read it before I was diagnosed and it is geared more toward those who just have fatigue and not failure as in Addison's, but it still is great to refer to for information on understanding what exactly is going on with this crazy disease and how to help turn things positive! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/17/10  9:13pm
" I just read my post and I didn't mean to say "just fatigue" like that isn't a big problem or doesn't make you feel really badly... so if anyone out there has adrenal fatigue vs. adrenal failure please don't think that I view that as any less yucky feeling!

Whether they don't work or only work a little... they can wreck havoc when they want too! But luckily this board helps everyone share their wonderful ideas! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/18/10  5:56pm
" II have that same book Cosby. I'm a bad reader. I mean I read well and fast but can't remember what I read:p-( "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web